Mystery Laptop

Anyone know the story behind this laptop that appeared on the sewing bench about a month ago? Is it a donation? Part of a project?

Its probably the windows xp machine that’s needed for one of the sewing machines

1 Like

Are you implying that the sewing machine needs something that cannot work on more recent versions of Windows? If yes then, out of curiosity, what is needed that cannot work on more recent versions of Windows?

anti necro-posting software, apparently, does not run on modern systems…

More to the point, they weren’t able to get the embroidery machine’s control software to run on anything newer than XP

1 Like

I am guessing that might be because they are using Windows XP for x86-32 but are using Windows NT 6.x or higher (Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 or later) for x86-64, which lacks the backward compatibility for applications that Windows NT for x86-32 has apparently only because Microsoft chooses to not add the NTVDM to Windows NT for x86-64 even though the ntvdmx64 project done outside of Microsoft has the NTVDM working on Windows NT for x86-64 but currently only for DOS applications, not for Win16/Win32s (New Executable as opposed to Portable Executable) applications. Windows XP was released for x86-64 too but only Service Pack 2 even though Service Pack 3 is the final Service Pack for Windows XP.

Anyway, I do not know which software is believed to not work on Windows NT 6.x or higher but if you give me this software then I can see if it seems to run on Windows 10 for x86-32. If you are trying to get something running on a newer version of an operating system then you should first try using the newer version of the operating system for the same architecture as the older version of the operating system instead of changing multiple things at once by changing both the version of the operating system and the architecture of the operating system.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.