My skateboard is missing

Hello yall. So I went into the space tonight to drop something off in my bin and I noticed my skateboard was not in its place atop my bin. I searched the entire space a few times over and asked some members who were there if they’d seen it lying around, all to no avail. Whoever decided to “borrow” it, please put it back immediately. My bin is under the main work table at the end closest to the woodshop. If your facing the woodshop the bin is located under the left side of the table.

Cheers,

Brandon.

PS: This is the graphic on the bottom:

41t+UL62q3L.AC

@Lukeo i remember you mentioning a skateboard being on the floor?

4 Likes

We don’t have a lot of theft at VHS. I’m guessing it got knocked off the top of the tote and is at the space somewhere. I’m sure it will turn up!

Sorry, I borrowed it and it will be returned tomorrow. I wanted to see if as an old man I should buy a skateboard (probably not a good idea). I also really wasn’t sure if it was left as a donation as it had no name or identifier attached.

Sorry for causing any worries.

3 Likes

@lukeo As an old guy I have been wondering the same thing. My wife said “no”, so I went out and bought a Mustang GT. Much better, though I still want a skateboard.

4 Likes

Friendly reminder to please label your things. No name = fair game is the rule of the shop.

2 Likes

No worries! thanks for returning it luke!

2 Likes

Really? Can we not take this rule so literally? Your implying that if I see something expensive sitting around without a name on it, and I know its not mine, I’m free to take it home.

I’ve always understood this rule as applying to consumables/ancillary materials (old project wood/metal, solder/adhesives, or like wires and electronic components, etc…) or objects purposely left on the freecylcing shelf.

Edit: I would also like to acknowledge that im new to the space, I’ve been here for only 9-10 months, so this sentiment is personal and may not be as contextually informed as our longer standing members opinions.

1 Like

The space tends to collect random clutter, and if left unchecked gets out of control. We often have purges of anything not labeled or actively being used. Also to be fair I think Luke posted about the board and nobody knew anything.

3 Likes

That is 100% the rules, and the rule is very necessary for the hackspace to function. Hackspace get cluttered really quickly. It is impossible to tell a the glace if a piece of steel is junk, or a critical part of something build that took hours to machine down to the correct size. If some random fabric is a piece of off cut, or a carefully measured part of a wedding dress. To you, the value of a skateboard is obvious, but to other people, we have no idea.

If this rule was not in place, we would not be able to clean up anything ever. Of course this rule does not include tools and machines, though those should be labeled as well. If you see something expensive, and it has no names on it, we encourage you to do a quick check in with people on slack to see if someone knows anything about it. But ultimately, it is the owner’s responsibility to label their stuff. You are lucky that Luke noticed and decided to protect it. If that skateboard got in my way, there is a chance I could have thrown it out.

2 Likes

Okay fair is fair! This all makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to educate me. I appreciate it :slight_smile: I will be sure to label everything from now on!

Cheers,

-B

3 Likes

@Katamari_Wurmhole thanks for posting and being understanding.

3 Likes

Yay thanks all I’m glad it came back! Looks like a super-cool skateboard. Brandon if you want to see something funny put me on one of those things. :smiley:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.