My new videoconf setup

With an 8-month-old, we’ve been FaceTiming with my parents a lot, since they’re a couple provinces over. In the last few days we’ve been videoconferencing with more family and friends too, as I’m sure is going to become increasingly common.

I wanted a better setup than the phones we’ve been using. I managed to build this with stuff I had around the house for $0 yesterday.

Parts:

• TV
  • Mac Mini + bluetooth keyboard and mouse (was being used as an HTPC and youtube machine)
  • Yeti USB Microphone (I had this from when I used to make youtube videos)
  • Canon T2i DSLR with a decent wide lens (I’ve had this forever)

The software was a little crazy to set up. I followed this guide. Live Camera lets you use a tethered DSLR as a video camera, and presents it as a Syphon server. CamTwist lets you take multiple video sources (including from a Syphon server), apply live effects or transitions, and presents the output as a video source that other apps on your Mac can use. Both CamTwist and Live Camera are sort of abandonware. I had to experiment with older versions of CamTwist until I got one to work with my particular setup.

What a difference. She engaged with her grandparents in a way that never happened before on a phone, tablet, or even a laptop. Well worth the time investment, and I’m sure we’ll find lots more uses for this.

18 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.