Moving into the new space on Cook St

Ah. I either missed that convo or forgot about it. Interesting idea.

All done, was waiting for the property manager to cut the number over. I’ll update with details on the other thread.

As for the move in, you can enter #104 on the intercom and it will ask for a code, enter 4862. This code will only work the day of the move, outside of the moving day keyholders can access the door by using the current keyholder pin used to access the bunker.

2 Likes

Wow, great job!

Can we ensure a smooth transition of keys to the actual space to Dan Royer
to facilitate the move?

@ccudahy already offered the keys to Dan on the weekend. If he didn’t get them, he knows who to get them from. @funvill has the other key since he lives close to the area.

The last one is the remote to open the garage door, i’ll be picking that up from the property manager tomorrow and i’ll leave that at the space.

Has Internet been looked at for Cook St?
I understand we can get shaw cable there?

Steve

No Shaw. They do not plan on installing service into the building (verified
again by some of the guys a couple days ago).

Novus isn’t there either, looks like it’s Telus. I haven’t called them to
set anything up yet, however. Anyone is welcome to do so.

I’ll have a chat with the ISP I use when I am there today.
They do ADSL and fiber

Steve

1 Like

The location qualifies for VDSL up to 50mbps, though as far as I understand, Telus will only provision up to 25/5 at business addresses.

I work for a local ISP that uses Telus wholesale VDSL services. Since VHS is a registered non-profit (right?), I might be able to get a good price on 25/5 DSL, at least competitive with what we were paying for Shaw. Our regular rates are not at all competitive so it may be a stretch. The “catch” would be that we don’t use consumer grade gear so the modem/router we would provision will be relatively costly and we’re not tooled to support customer-provided equipment.

If someone wants to get rates from Telus and @SteveRoy’s partner, I’ll see if I think there’s any hope of us doing better and pass a request up the chain.

2 Likes

Does anyone have an idea of monthly data amounts that we used at the Bunker?

We hit 500gb last month, but I think that’s very unusual and Ty was backing
up everything on the internet.

1 Like

So normally 100 to 200GB?

I can be there to help. I think it makes sense for me to arrive later around noon and help until the end as I’m not an early riser and I have to take a pallet jack away at the end.

Hey all,

I made a Doodle to help organize when people can come and help move.

I broke the day into 1 hour long segments; you can select multiple segments.

1. Type in your name
  2. Click on the times you can be available! The (Yes) Option is a maybe.
  3. Click Save!

1 Like

If we’re going with Telus DSL, then we might as well go with TekSavvy DSL instead. It’s competitively priced, and much more aligned with our values as a hack space, I would think.

I’ve been a customer at two locations for over five years and can’t recommend them enough. Only ever had one problem and it was the last mile (Telus’ fault) anyway.

1 Like

Can definitely +1 TekSavvy. One downside is that they’re effectively single-homed in Western Canada and their only production upstream is Hurricane Electric. Net result is that most of your local traffic will round-trip through Seattle to get to Shaw or Telus, which adds ~8ms. Pretty negligible, but not ideal.

Also they seem to only offer 15/1 to business (ADSL2+ max), which is a bit odd since they seem to be set up to do VDSL on the residential side. Or maybe they just haven’t updated their website.

Don’t forget the dry loop fee, activation and modem when calculating cost.

Edit: Maybe this thread should be split from the topic.

We had Teksavvy at 45 west.
Nothing but problems, I assume they where Shaw/Telus problems but either way they took weeks to resolve on their end.

We switched to shaw at the bunker and never had any issues.
I would like to stay with one of the evil three (shaw, telus, shady-tel) at the shoebox.

1 Like

Last mile problems are a bitch to resolve no matter the provider. Each has their own pet failings. Shaw likes to let entire regions run in saturation for months at a time with severe packet loss during peak hours. Telus techs like to accidentally the jumpers in the SAC during installs and bring down other customers, and the DSL technology doesn’t deal well with poor line quality, as was likely the case at 45 west; it’s pretty far from the CO and an ancient building with janky wiring.

Anyway, not my call, just offering experience and a healthy dose of FUUUUU to the criminals at the big two (who is shady-tel?). From the sounds of things it’ll be Telus then. Since they’ve made the information stupidly hard to find on their website, I’ll link it here: http://business.telus.com/en/business/bc/internet/office-internet

Shady-tel is a hacker made Cell phone network that operated at TOORCAMP and Burning man . It was also the name of the local area cell phone network (That may or may NOT happen) that operated overtop of 45 west about ~4 years ago or so during an event that has some rings in the logo.

I will give a beer to the first one that sends me a picture of themselves holding a Shady-tel sim card.

Honestly, it is your call. If you’re willing to do the work, then no one else can really criticize.

I don’t have any specific experience with any of these internet providers, but 2 years is a long time for TekSavvy to work through its issues. Telus is also probably one of the more evil corporations in Canada at the moment.