Modernising the time clock: VHS Aetheryte

Our current VHS SpaceTime™ clock is pretty old, and although it works well, the displays on it have seen better days. So, in true hackspace fashion of “if it’s not broke, hack it until it is”, I’ve decided it’s time we add some :sparkles: modern aesthetic flair :sparkles: to it! Introducing VHS Aetheryte.

I know myself quite well, and know that I’m prone to ADHD-forgetting about projects, so rest assured that I’m going out of my way to ensure the current SpaceTime clock works as usual until this project is ready for prime time.

The Grand Plan
A wall-mounted widescreen monitor, connected to a Raspberry Pi, with sufficient room to display the essential information (current time & space open time), as well as other goodies, side by side.
The method of time input is unclear so far, though it will definitely still be something physical in the space (that’s not going away!). I’m experimenting with a small secondary touchscreen display connected to the Pi for this, but might explore other avenues if I can’t get that working.

The Goodies
I can already hear you asking - “So Lumi, what else will you actually put on the display?” - and to that, I present to you…

Pixelflut.

I’ve been fond of the idea of a canvas that can nerdsnipe almost any hacker for a while, and I think a Pixelflut canvas on the display would be a lovely addition to the space. Of course, this would be displayed simultaneously with the time info, thanks to the available space on this 23" widescreen monitor! (though I might rotate it 90 degrees to be portrait, so the time can be larger and more legible from a distance)

Extra Credit
If I can get the input method of a secondary touchscreen working, I think it would be cool to add a system for viewing and signing the liability waivers as well, and having the signatures automatically go to a datastore of some kind. This would also help to automate onboarding for new members, since then we can have a central database of everyone who has and hasn’t signed the waiver already.

Why the name?
I’m a big fan of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, with an unlimited free trial that allows you to play the entirety of the first two critically-acclaimed expansions Heavensward and Stormblood, and level all the way up to 70, with absolutely zero restrictions on playtime, for free!
… also, Aetheryte seems like a fitting name for something that’s at the front of the space, I guess?

9 Likes

For what it’s worth, I think the current method of time entry works great.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s nice and simple! I’m not planning on changing it up too much or making it a ton different, just adding a bit of that Modern Aesthetic Touch to it :smile:

My vision for this project is basically to replicate what the existing clock does, but turn it into a very hackable, extensible software platform. Want to add an “app” to the VHS Aetheryte? It’s just a bit of code away!

3 Likes

Some progress from tonight…

The monitor mount is properly hung now, and without even having to cut up bolts, thanks to some ingenuity and help from @Metal_Janet!

Prototyping layout ideas a little bit. The bottom portion will be the Pixelflut canvas, and the top portion can have the same info the current time clock has, plus more if we wanted to add things to it.

8 Likes

If you wanted to add things maybe the events calendar might be a good thing to show up here :smiley:

3 Likes

And/or perhaps a giant flashing red screen that starts 30 min before the end of scheduled open hours? Only half joking…

2 Likes

that would be a good reminder for fire watch actually

4 Likes

unfortunately, the display is starting to progressively die off, so I think Lumi is wise to get ahead of this.

5 Likes

this is some sauce that is awesome!

1 Like