Member Storage Update: Locker cleanup

Andrew:

The new racks look cool! You are doing an amazing job with the cleaning up the space. Thank you for that!

The general process of reviewing various tools, unused equipment and stuff for cleanup has been great. Everyone has had a chance to speak on each item and a group consensus was generally reached. I feel however in this particular case with the lockers that this process is not being followed.

10 people voted on the poll of keeping some of the lockers. 2 Voted to get rid of them and 8 said keep some. I’m not sure why it is necessary to give “you” a “compelling use case” as it seems to me that “we” as a group have indicated that some should be kept?

As for which ones I think should be kept I personally would like to see at least one of the blue door small lockers and one of the beige 4 door half split kept.

Mark

1. Are lockers better for chemical storage than the current chemical locker?

If we don’t need more chemical storage space, we should consider selling the chemical locker instead?

1. When locking tools that require restricted access because of training / safety or easily damaged without training, lockers should replace shelving.
2 Likes

i have brought up that suggestion before, and I still think that is a good idea.

1 Like

Hey, I’m glad you brought that point up. Let’s review some of the history on this:

From February 25th: https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/lockers-versus-totes/7601

After some discussion, it turned out that we’d agreed to move to totes. This was

From March 1st: https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/member-storage-the-great-leap-forward/7625

So for the past month we’ve been working steadily towards that goal, and I’m reasonably sure that the vast majority of VHS was fine with it. However, in recent days, some folks have determined that we’d like to retain some.

Now, I understand that my comments might appear to demand justification for why we should keep any lockers. For that, I apologize. It was not intended, I’m not an authority figure, and VHS decides by rough consensus.

So I’ll say simply this: if you want to keep lockers, please make sure that a) there is space for them in the intended area b) there is a good purpose behind keeping them.

Until it’s decided which lockers are going and which are staying, nothing will be listed on Craigslist. They will remain where they are until a consensus is reached and a concrete decision is made. It’s my hope that motivated folks can work with stakeholders in the various areas of VHS to figure out the best solution.

Cheers!

8 Likes

Please see this thread Locker Allocation and comment.

This topic was automatically closed 104 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.