Material Approval request: Teragren Bamboo Panels

To the Laser Cutter Committee:

I have heard that bamboo cuts beautifully and have found a local supplier.

The MSDS is here
https://teragren.app.box.com/s/yiletngnei24t5gs530d

Key point: “Thermal decomposition products include carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, aliphatic aldehydes, rosin acids, terpenes, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.”

I’m hitting a wall looking up the MSDS for everything after CO2, however terpenes are found in a lot of burning plant matter, including cannabis. Rosin acids are found in burning pine. I’m not sure about aliphatic aldehydes and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Do you know if it’s a solid veneer? I would also be interested in this material.

From what I can tell the bonding glues will definitely produce smoke you don’t want to breathe, but won’t harm the cutter. We don’t allow MDF because the smoke accelerates the need to replace filtration and optics, I wonder if this is similar. I’m curious to hear from others on the LCC about this.

From the MSDS Hazards materials list, this stuff seems to be ~10% Urea Formaldehyde Resin - That rang a bell - it’s about the makeup of some MDF I’ve looked at in the past. It looks like this stuff would cause us similar filtration issues.

That’s… not ideal.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.