Maple and Walnut Cuttingboard

Years ago at cook street I made an end-grain cutting board for my brother out of maple and walnut that was designed to span a kitchen sink in a small open concept kitchen with almost no counter space.

My parents recently moved and my dad asked if he could have a similar one made. When I dove into exactly what he wanted, it turns out he just liked the maple/walnut combo but not anything else (at least for his house). He also wanted it larger than the one I made for my brother and quite a bit thinner.

I present to you my walnut/maple cutting board for my dad.

It is 16.5 inches by 14.5 inches with a very clean relief on the edge (not too rounded since that impacts function as you scrape off the board)

I experimented with wire-bending some steel wire to make a brand, and while not perfect, I enjoyed the process and will likely mill something to be my brand.

I ripped all the strips on a track saw, glued them up and then hand planed it to flat and parallel. Then I passed it through the thickness sander to remove any small waves, did finish edge treatments with a micro low angle plane and sanded from 120 up to 240 by hand, cleaning with alcohol in-between grits.

I’ve applied butcher block oil and did some pore filling on a small knot on the underside.

6 Likes

Looks good. did you put feet on the bottom of the board?

No, he prefers a double sided board and regularly puts a towel down to prevent slipping instead of feet. The only thing designating “up” is the brand direction.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.