Manual Machining Training

Discussion for manual machining training.

Any suggested projects? We could make something for the space with the classes which would be nice.

Maybe split the course into a mill and a lathe section? Both could warrant an individual course.

2 Likes

I’ll share the slide deck/course notes I use for the lathe training with you (see Slack). It’s mainly about safety and basic operation. We don’t have anything for the mill yet unfortunately.

With only one lathe class projects are hard due to limited machine time. I usually run people over simple turning/facing/parting and that’s about it during class (leave it as an exercise to watch/learn from YouTube).

I second to rsim! Projects would be fun, but not much time for those. At least me want to get the safety training and standard procedures covered with these particular machines so I can continue on my own time and pace.

Looking forward to this!

Would it be feasible to make wood lathe tools?

That might go well with a class on making wood lathe handles.

/me Twirls Evil Mustache

Wood lathe tools are normally forged and ground, no? I don’t think we want
green horns messing with tool steel right out of the gate.

Given that I’ve never done any metalwork… I’m less than a green horn.

The only thing I saw was about making a rounded scraping tool using D2 steel and having it sent away for hardening.

I think it would be really cool to do something that requires precision fitting to demonstrate how to make things accurately.

Tool still is a little tough for a first go around even when it is soft.

A few ideas, mostly biased toward things I want…

It would be nice to make a mitre gauge for the bandsaw; that would have some threading, some precision, etc.

I don’t have a design, but it would be cool to make a lifting mechanism for the thickness sander.

Making some sort of hold-down mechanism would be nice to make for working on the worktable, potentially something that can fit in the hold down holes.

Hi all,

I’m new and thrilled to find this local community.

If I can offer a suggestion it falls in line with Mike’s suggestions - if we can use equipment training to help produce further machines by using the current machines this would form a basis for progressive growth. i.e. Use a lathe to build a lathe.

Along that lines, in the ukulele build mikewas lamenting not having a spindle sander for precision thickness sanding of parts. I would suggest building this equipment, either using an extra motor, or incorporating a mount for attaching a spindle sander to a drill/drill press. It would take some brainstorming to gauge what elements of the project might be on hand (sorry I have yet to visit the workshop, so in fantasy there is everything you need), but this could lead to exponential growth of tools as the community grows.

Best regards, and hope to meet some of you soon!

Building machine components for a starter project is akin to learning to
run before you can crawl.

this is more in line with a first machining project.

2 Likes

That is beautiful, I love it! I’d be super super happy with making something like that!

I appreciate your idea about a thickness sander, but I actually ended up making one; just always have things to improve on it.

I agree building an entire machine in a single training session is a lofty goal, but the concept of using training to part-wise build machines allows for exponential growth of the facility:

Employing some totally made up figures:
1 machine x ~10 training sessions over 10 months = 2 machines
2 machines x ~10 training sessions over 10 months = 4 machines
4 machines… etc. etc.

More machines means more opportunities for training. The beast feeds itself, and is only limited by our community (the food - active members and space to store machines!).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.