Making our own medical masks for the 2019-nCoV

This may not be so much for us in Vancouver. But the supply shortage in HK is critical. Trying to do anything possible to help our friends in HK.

Masks are most effective when spreaders wear them as to not to spread to others.
But people don’t know who the spreaders are.

How to make a medical mask?
Is stuff like this useful or trash

http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how-tos/how-to-make-your-own-face-mask

The design of the surgical masks depends on the mode; usually the masks are three-ply (three layers). This three-ply material is made up from a melt-blown material placed between non-woven fabric. The melt-blown material acts as the filter that stops microbes from entering or exiting the mask. Most surgical masks feature pleats or folds. Three pleats are used to allow the user to expand the mask such that it covers the area from the nose to the chin. There are three different ways to secure the masks. The most popular is the ear loop, where a string-like material is attached to the mask and placed behind the ears. The other is the tie-on, which consists of four non-woven straps that are tied behind the head. The third is the headband, an elastic strap which is secured behind the head.[ citation needed ]

I wonder how long it takes for these masks to clog up, and lose any effectiveness? Obviously it would depend on the degree of pollution etc.

To protect against contamination, it is recommended that the disposable masks are not reused.
If the mask (mask filters) could be staralized, it could possibly be resused.

https://unwire.hk/2020/01/31/poly-masks/life-tech/health/

The above link has been found to be miss information.

I am not sure why that link was posted.
It purports that University in HK has developed new washable mask that’s gotten “international recognition” yet offers no technical details.
Worse yet, the very bottom it does admit that the university itself has issued statement against the misinformation

There are already enough misinformation floating around. We should do our part to stop the spread of misinformation regarding the nCoV and not post clickbaits, regardless of the language.

3 Likes

Thank you. There is a lot of miss-information out there, I didn’t know.

Should I leave it up so people know it is miss-information or take it down.

I’d leave it up so people know this is misinformation.

Yeah I say we be more vigilant and fact check before posting in the future.

In this case, the university is indeed working on novel material with anti-microbial property that would be effective against bacterial pneumonia. However that has been misconstrued and conflated with the new corona virus pneumonia. And the material is not meant for masks but home use such as linen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.