Looking to learn about DC motor control

Please link your favorite tutorials, your previous projects, anything. I’m looking to integrate something like
36BLR-50-24-01 from OMC Stepper Online into an existing project. That’s 24v1a brushless.

2 Likes

When we built the mechaduino as a group build at VHS, I learned a lot about the world of DIY servo control. Is that what you mean?

For just driving regular DC motors, I really like the vnh5019 (which I bought from Marginally Clever Robots!) because it provides smooth speed control and current-sense feedback. My first bottler uses this to move the carriage up and down, and uses the current-sense feedback for software-adjustable force applied to seal the bottles/cans while filling. A local brewery is still using this machine 3-4 times per week and has been for years.

Dan: what are your favourite tutorials, previous projects, etc.?

3 Likes

The closest I’ve been to a dc motor are electric linear actuators from progressive. After that… nothing. I am really quite ignorant about them.
As I’m only starting to learn, I wanted to find out what’s out there and go straight to the best source.

What about an oDrive or knockoff?

This is a single drive version for about ~$65US
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000242401352.html

Or if you want to do your own board

Skyentific on YouTube is a great resource for learning about bldc and robot arms.

1 Like

In the past while I was In school we created our own motor control board which we closed the loop on using encoders, I can take a look at the chip used if that could be of interest if I recall the chip we used could either power two dc motors or one stepper but I’d have to double check voltage etc.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.