Looking for a flat-root antenna platform

I’m going to host an ADS-B and high precision MLAT receiving site. (Equipment provided by third party) The best place for the antenna is on my flat roof.

I need a platform like this:

http://www.pcs1.net/new/images/install-roofmount.jpg

I would prefer one with mast points at each corner so that I can setup other antennas in the future. Or is that self-defeating due to the antennas being so close to each other that they would interfere?

I also want some kind of external enclosure to host the first stage receivers as close to the antenna as possible. Should be weather proof. Like this:

I ask here to see if there is any advice you can give me and if you know where I may be able to find the parts for a low price.

Thanks!

I would start with LinHaw as I know they sell wireless antennas so they should have the mount you want as they are very typical for roof installations (as they don’t require penetrating the roof which often leads to leaks)…

1 Like

http://www.wadeantenna.com/category.php?c=3&sc=0

A Canadian source… Looks like they sell through places like Anixter and such…

You might try MRO also since they specialize in that sort of stuff.

http://www.mroelectronics.com/mro/

It depends on the type of antennas. As long as they’re directional ( and don’t have any weird lobes pointing backwards ) then you should be fine.

Nope, they are all going to be omni. To start, I’ll have: GPS, ADS-B (38cm, 1090Mhz, Omni)

Later on I’ll want to add an egg-beater or helix 2m (130Mhz-150Mhz) antenna for APRS and Weather. Followed by a discone in the 170-1000Mhz range for general radio scanning.

I’m guessing, since they are all omni, I’ll have to separate them?

(Note: not planning to transmit, only receive. I do know that receivers can leak, but it’s not my intention.)

As long as they are receive only it shouldn’t be a problem.

Transmit shouldn’t be a problem either if the frequencies of the different transmitters are not close-in, though you may need to apply some additional filtering to the other receivers to avoid overloading the early stages with harmonics or if they lack good preselection.

We can build this - I have access to welders and am happy to contribute the materials

1 Like

We have a weatherproof box similar to that in the hackspace that isn’t be used, to the right of the soldering stations.
And we also have some other metal boxes in the “project boxes” box above the sowing stuff that might work for you.

Would the base of a basketball hoop work? Something like this?

The base is filled with water, which might be easier than cinderblocks.

Or instead of cinder blocks you could weigh the thing down pretty easily with 4 milk crates + 16 milk jugs (4 milk jugs per crate, 3.75L per container) full of water. That would have a mass of ~60kg. And if you toss in enough salt in there you wouldn’t have to worry about it freezing and breaking the containers. Plus if you can get a garden hose up to the roof you could just fill the containers up there, which is much easier on your back than hauling a bunch of heavy cinder blocks up there.

2 Likes

I just spent the last 6 months welding rooftop cellphone antenna bases and freestanding towers.

There not hard to build, if you know how.

I am actually looking for VHS members with complimentary technical skills needed to work on a new tech start-up, so if anyone wants to collaborate for the common good, please PM me. I need programmers & electronics tech for a series of new products.

Thanks & good luck on your antenna mount !!