Lets do a group buy for a new Miter Saw on Black Friday

VHS’s Makita Miter saw has been getting long in the tooth - it’s had a few problems over the years, and a bunch of time sunk into repairing it at different times, but I think it’s well and ready to retire to ~a better place~ craigslist.

I think this week is likely to be a good time to buy - Black Friday deals on tools can be pretty solid.

We’ll likely use #woodworking on slack to discuss confirm deals and selection day of - things are likely to move quick, but if anyone is interested in supporting the buy, feel free to post here to commit contribution, or come by the channel.

4 Likes

Great idea!

I will pitch in with a few bucks.

3 Likes

Strongly agree, a new miter saw would be amazing. It’s one of the most used pieces of equipment in the shop and would be really good to have. I’ll pitch in $20

3 Likes

Great idea, I’ll pitch in $20. I used ours just last week and it definitely feels super sketchy having to hold the guard out of the way.

3 Likes

and my axe!!.. (estimated axe value: $20)

2 Likes

count me in for $50.

3 Likes

In Discussions of currently available deals in #woodworking, we narrowed things down to two options that seem ideal, depending on if we can get a little more chipped in:

Option 1: Ridgid 10-Inch Corded Dual Bevel Sliding Miter Saw. $300, home depot. Home user grade build, but all the features we could ask for, and not the entry level build quality wise.

Option 2: Bosch 12-Inch Dual Bevel Glide Sliding Mitre Saw. $500, Summit Tools (online flyer). details of the saw are Here on Bosch’s site, as summit doesn’t have product details. This is on at a significant discount - KMS and Home Depot both list the same saw for $800. I’ve used it at previous spaces, and it’s a stellar saw.

Where we’re sitting now, between folks who’ve committed in here and Slack, we can get the Ridgid. If we can get a few more folks to chip in, I think the Bosch is a better saw, and the price seems great on it.

Anyone else willing to contribute, or increase their contribution if it means getting a better unit?

2 Likes

Either option is fine by me, but I’ll throw in an extra $20 if we decide to get the Bosch.

4 Likes

Bosch for the win. I’ll pitch in $75.

6 Likes

$25 from me for Bosch.

2 Likes

who should i send the money to?

The Bosch saw has been acquired! @Lukeo was the one who picked it up.

2 Likes

Please post info on where to end money.

Hi Everyone, I picked up the saw and its at vhs its lovely!

send money to “luke at brooks.net.au” with the password bosch.

Thanks all!

3 Likes

Done!

2 Likes

Are we keeping the old one? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I kinda hope not - it’s a bit sketch I think. Are you looking for a slightly sketch saw? :smiley:

1 Like

yeah, I’d be willing to buy it if the price is right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

name your price and its yours @Arrgh , no seriously any price at this rate.

2 Likes

[checks wallet] How about $40? :slight_smile:

3 Likes