Laser - New Material Approval Request

@LCC,

I’d like to put a request in for this product as an approved material for the laser cutter:

https://canada.michaels.com/en/siser-easyweed-heat-transfer-vinyl/10519525.html

It is marketed as laser safe and the manufactuer notes it is Polyurethane, not actually Vinyl.

Here is the SDS:
Siser EasyWeed SDS.pdf (340.1 KB)

Just curious what the application is for? Wondering if the Cricut vinyl cutter would give you what you need?

FYI. I AM NOT on the LCC and I have no opinion on the appropriateness of this material for laser cutting.

I am curious about this material so below is my quick look at the data. Everyone should form their own opinions.

From the MSDS provided.

→ SECTION 10: STABILITY and REACTIVITY

Possibility of hazardous reactions: not expected to present a significant hazard under anticipated conditions of normal use. PETs start to decompose slowly at about 130°C when heated for prolonged periods and decompose rapidly above 285°C

and

Hazardous decomposition products: Thermal decomposition forms cross-linked polymer, benzoic acid, flammable substances such as methane, hydrogen gas, ethylene, benzene; combustible substances such as naphthalene compounds and acetophenone; very toxic substances such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde and other low molecular weight organic compounds.

From ChatGPT

In the context of chemicals and plastics, “PET” stands for “Polyethylene Terephthalate.” It’s a type of polymer used primarily in the production of synthetic fibers (like polyester) and plastic containers. Some characteristics and uses of PET include:

1. Bottles and Containers: PET is widely used to make plastic bottles for beverages, especially water and soda. It’s popular because it’s lightweight, transparent, and can be easily recycled.

Are PETs safe for laser cutting?

Laser cutting PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) is possible, but there are a few safety and quality concerns you should be aware of:

1. Toxic Fumes: When PET is heated, it can release fumes that may be harmful to inhale. Proper ventilation is crucial when laser cutting PET. A well-ventilated workspace or using a fume extraction system can mitigate this risk.
  2. Quality of Cut: PET can melt and warp when subjected to the intense heat of a laser, which might result in an uneven or poor-quality cut. Proper settings, such as adjusting the laser’s speed and power, can help achieve cleaner cuts.
  3. Fire Hazard: Like other plastics, there’s a risk of ignition when laser cutting PET. Always monitor the process closely and have safety measures in place.
  4. Degradation: The heat from the laser can degrade the PET at the cut edge, which might affect its strength and appearance.
  5. Material Thickness: Thin sheets of PET are generally easier to laser cut than thicker ones. Thicker sheets might require multiple passes or might not cut cleanly.
  6. Cleaning: The laser-cut edges might be sticky or have residues. Cleaning the cut pieces with appropriate solvents or detergents can help remove these residues.

If you’re considering laser cutting PET for a specific application, it’s essential to run some test cuts first to determine the best settings and ensure the desired results. And always prioritize safety by using appropriate protective equipment and ensuring proper ventilation.

If this is being laser cut it would likely need to be cut on one of the honeycomb supports which I would take too mean that it will leave a sticky residue that could be difficult to remove from the honeycomb support?

Thank you for your comments, Mark.
PET is currently on the approved materials list.
As with all materials, proper precautions should always be taken, and I always commend continuous awareness about that.
As for honeycomb support, you make a good point. Perhaps anchoring something like this to a thin sheet of scrap plywood would be suitable.

1 Like

I emailed Siser support and they say that it is safe for laser cutting.

I shall let the LCC announce if this is material is approved for the VHS laser cutter.