Laser Filter Maintenance - Nov 2023

@Katie and I cleaned the filter box today:

• Pre-filters vacuumed and washed
  • 1 (of 2) HEPA filters replaced (only 1 new filter of the correct size was available)
  • Grating from all trays sifted + vacuumed (pre-filters and charcoal)
  • Inside of filter box vacuumed, and remaining dust from nooks & crannies removed via damp rags

There were lots of HEPA filters nearby the filter box (and in the furnace room), but they were of too narrow a size to be used. The current configuration of the filter box had two HEPA filters, so one of them still needs replacing.

4 Likes

Thanks for doing that Katie and Paul. :raised_hands:

The filter packs come in 3’s from Home Depot. I usually just buy a new package of Hepa filters from Home Depot before changing the filters. It beats having the filters lie around for three months then go missing at VHS.

We should get a completely new set in there as it will help keep the air inside VHS cleaner which is important for those folks with breathing sensitivities.

A couple of questions.

1. Did you get a chance to check the seal around exhaust pipe in window?
  2. Was all the activated charcoal changed completely? l.e. all new charcoal for all the trays?
1 Like
  1. Did you get a chance to check the seal around exhaust pipe in window?
    Nope; wasn’t aware of this.

2. Was all the activated charcoal changed completely? l.e. all new charcoal for all the trays?
    We didn’t – we weren’t sure how much charcoal is normal, but all trays were already at least 50% ~ 66% full, and (after sifting + vacuuming) still looked very dark black and pellet shaped.

1 Like

ok. thanks for letting me know.

It’s been almost a year since it has been changed and we should to replace all the activated charcoal with new charcoal.

This is what fresh activated charcoal should look like.

https://talk.vanhack.ca/uploads/default/original/2X/7/7835b0f2f4a67783792ef18cd688cf0d7095a8e3.jpeg

We should order a new bag.

1 Like