Laser Alignment Issue

Tried making some precision cuts on the laser today, noticed the laser was cutting a bevel, suggesting the beam is biased slightly to the southwest. I ran the tape test right before the mirror above the cutting head, the gantry mirror is out a bit, and I suspect the head mirror is out as well.

While I was engraving, the laser also threw an alignment screw out of the head. I put it back, but obviously not adjusted to the same place. However, it’s important to note that the bevel existed before the laser threw the screw.

In my personal (non-LCC) opinion, the laser is still useable for non-critically dimensioned parts, particularly on thinner materials. If your tolerance is over 10 thou (0.25mm) I wouldn’t expect to run into issues.

I attached a label to the laser alerting users to the issue.

Hi Andrew.

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the LCC. We will look into this.

Just to re-iterate for ALL members the laser is not a do-ocracy. If anyone finds an issue then please report it to the LCC first. Take pictures of the issue. The LCC usually responds very quickly.

Do not perform any mirror tests, cleaning of mirrors, checking of alignments, opening up the laser cutter side or rear panels to inspect internals, etc.

If it is not something you don’t do in the normal course of laser cutting then stop and report it to the LCC.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.