Keeping wires out of a CNC shopbot style

In this picture tehre’s a black strapping that keeps the wires and air hose out of the way of moving parts.
Anyone know what is the material used in the strap? I need a similar solution for a CNC robot I’m building. cable chain is not a viable option at this time.

http://fablabsf.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/shopbot-prt-96.jpg

fiber glass rod is flexible and strong enough (think fishing rods)

depending on the bend radius, you could use steel strapping that is used to secure loads to pallets. It is essentially spring steel.

1 Like

hmm… the worst cases:

• diagonally across the machine (1.3m?)
  • at the nearest point ( <10cm?)
  • straight along either axis (~1m, 45 degrees off axis)

Finding something that will flex correctly and not flop onto the table is
tricky.
Worst case is I redesign for cable chain.
Someone suggested tent poles in an X above the machine and let the
umbilical hang down. I imagine it gently - accidentally - wrapping around
the head like a boa constrictor.

Googled for “flexible cable guide”:

You could 3D print the holder/opening.

Ikea has that type of duct. For better results, Google “flexible cable duct”. That’s what you want.

looks like vacuum cleaner hose.

thx for the great idea.

I will use vacumm cleaner hose for my home cable guide

1 Like

the hose will be >1.2m. what stops it from falling into the machinery AND still allows the machinery the full range of motion?

Right now I’m thinking I might have to print 4 or 5 cable chain links a day until I get enough.

The black material is just extruded acrylic and I made and broke three of them before I finally tossed that design and used energy chain. If you were going to go that route I would suggest you use polycarbonate or something chewier like hdpe.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.