Just joined! Excited to meet other folks

Hi all!

I’m Lio and I just joined VHS. I’m originally from the Netherlands. I recently moved here from Hong Kong (2 weeks quarantine sucks btw) where I was staff of the local DimSum Labs hacker space, dimsumlabs.com. I did a bunch of silly projects there: automated the door entry using PIN or Octopus (HK’s Compass card), remotely controlling a C64 over web sockets, Wifi-enabled lights with ESP8266, simulating three-body problem on Arduino cluster (WIP), and bought (and taught) a laser cutter.

Before Hong Kong I was a founding member of the XinCheJian hacker space in Shanghai xinchejian.com, first such space in China. There I hosted the Wednesday Open Nights, built an e-SofaCar, taught Arduino and electronics classes, door access control, and lots of other pointless hacks.

Before Shanghai I lived in Bucharest for about 5 years. My worst hack there was using a screwdriver as a fuse because they didn’t sell the old fuses anymore :man_shrugging:

One of the projects I’d like to work on here is a conversion of an old Vespa scooter to make it battery powered. I feel that’s much trickier than it sounds, but might be a nice multi-year project to work on :slight_smile:

I love laser cutters and hate 3D printers.

I’m planning to drop by tomorrow (Sunday) at noon!

Cheers!
Lio

10 Likes

Hey nice to meet you. I will be in at noon tomorrow. Hope to see you there.

2 Likes

Hi! Welcome!

1 Like

Great! By the way, would it be OK to bring a friend, non-member, today at noon?