Is there a hackspace for making food?

Does anyone know about any kind of Hackspace-style kitchens in the Vancouver area? Do-ocracy style places where you can access or make cheese presses, grain mills, brewing equipment, low-temperature spaces for aging etc?

Do you mean more like a shared “workshop” to make foods? As opposed to the actual cooking of the foods?

Have you checked out https://commissaryconnect.com/?

1 Like

I look at this and it seams they are a shared space for people in the food
industry.

Not really set up for.

Learn how to make bread.

Learn how to make healthy vegetarian meals.

Sharing meals created while learning with others.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m thinking along the lines of a place for people who want to do something like making hard cheese that requires special equipment and the right conditions. I know that there are a lot of people including myself who would like to tackle some more complex and long-term recipes but who lack the space and equipment to do it. Maybe some kind of community has already been established, I’ll get in touch with the commissary connect people though and see if they have any leads.

1 Like

Hmmm…this is a good question. Maybe email https://www.homesteadjunction.ca/ and see if they know of anywhere? I know they offer courses in this sort of thing. I realize you’re after shared workspace rather than a course.

P.S. Pick up some beard oil while you’re there. They are very hip. :stuck_out_tongue:

@newton.jason has a cheesemaker, and is also involved with Van Brewers, I think. It’s possible that he has connections to get some gear for borrowing.

A communal space would be great for this. I dont know of one, however do have lots of experience making cheese, bread and beer (also dabble in wine, whiskey and pretty much any other sort of fermented food)

I can offer (to donate, sell or help source) some of the equipment for this if a plan is hatched.

I currently use a wine fridge with a temperature and humidity controller for the cheese cave, and built a cheese press at the hack space for making hard cheeses.

Im a bit of a geek when it comes to brewing beer and have definitely over-complicated the process (refer to www.brewbot.ca if you want to more info).

Yep Im a member of Vanbrewers, the meetings are at big rock urban brewery the last thursday of each month (this includes tomorrow) in the upstairs tasting room. The meetings are open to anyone and the first one is free ($20 yearly membership after that to cover club expenses).

Let me know how I can help

4 Likes

I also make various brandies, beers. Would love to meet you and chat sometime.

1 Like

I’ll see what I can find out from the homesteader’s emporium for sure. I was actually planning on building a cheese press this summer, I’d be interested in learning more about yours when you have the time!

Hi,
Can you use a car jack to press cheese in between stainless steel plates? Does it have to be stainless steel in its entirety for food safety?
Or get a junked printer’s press?
Best,
RK

1 Like

eh… I can think of a couple of stores which sell cookware and also do cooking classes.

I built a dutch style one (lever and weight) and it works great. Super simple and cheap to build

Very similar to this one here

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.