Interest Check - Fusion 360

There has been some requests and ongoing discussion about some sort of class / workshop / meetup for Autodesk Fusion 360.

For those that aren’t familiar, Fusion 360 is a computer-aided design (CAD), computer-aided engineering (CAE) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software. It is cloud-based and available as a subscription, however there is also a free licence available for enthusiasts:

The free Start-Up/ Enthusiast licenses allow you to access Fusion 360 with a yearly subscription after the trial period has ended. You can use this license if you are a small business making less than $100,000 per year (or equivalent), or if you’re a hobbyist using Fusion 360 for non-commercial purposes.

Fusion 360 can be used for a variety of things, including creating or modifying parts for 3D printing, generating files for laser cutting, and designing and machining parts using the CNC mill (i.e. TAIG) or CNC router.

There is a user-created tutorial on the VHS Wiki as well as variety of tutorials on the web.

Topics
Is there interest in exploring these or other aspects?

e.g.

• importing and modifying .stl’s for 3D printing
  • designing parts for 3D printing
  • designing parts for laser cutting
  • creating drawings
  • doing finite element analysis
  • using collaboration tools
  • application program interface
  • designing parts and toolpaths for CNC milling / routing
  • best practices for modelling
  • joint and assemblies

Format
What format would you be interested in?

e.g.

• class
  • unconference-style show and tell
  • casual troubleshooting/knowledge sharing
  • ?

EDIT: I’ll add ideas for topics / formats / whatever, then throw up a poll to gauge interest in each.

4 Likes

I would be interested. I did small project there but still looking to see what kind of pipeline people follow there, techniques. For me show and tell what you did would work just fine. Also any introduction to CAM in case you cnc stuff you did would be welcome.

Thank you @JDMc!
My main interests in Fusion 360 would be:
(1) CAM,
(2) Finite Element Method
(3) Joints and Assemblies
(4) designing parts for 3D printing
(5) designing parts for laser cutting.

Format of class:
(1) Some part class &
(2) Rest of it casual troubleshooting/knowledge sharing
(3) Hackathon?

And it doesn’t have to fit in a one-two hour class, can be split up into many days or however the instructor(s) wish.

Thanks!

I’d be interested in an unconference-style show and tell with casual troubleshooting/knowledge sharing.

I’ve used F360 for 3D printing, CNC machining and, laser cutting.

I like to learn more joints and assemblies. Could always learn more about CAM paths and setting up Tool Libraries.

Mark

1 Like

I have run classes at VHS in the past and I’m the owner of the Vancouver Fusion360 meetup group. Please let me know how I can help.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhXQctNg21y/

1 Like

Dan, how often do you run the meetup, and where does it assemble? Did you go through the official channel and get the backing or just started it?

I’ve never done anything with it. One day I was on meetup and it said “no one runs this group! Want it?” and I clicked “ok”. button could have said “sure, why not” and I’d have done it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.