IceZero Raspberry PI fpga board build log

I sent 3 10x10 panels of pcbs off in February and packed them full of everything I thought I might want to build. Next on the list is the IceZero raspberry pi fpga board.

I mounted the fpga this morning. I tacked it down in either corner (you can see this in the top right of the first image, drew a line of paste along the pins (also first image) and then used hot air to melt it (second image). Final cleanup was with solder wick. The first two images are of a 22" monitor with magnifier attached.

I can’t access the cad data for the board as I don’t have the software. The gerbers are on the site above, I’m using these images for placement.

I placed all the passives and all the silicon except the sram last night. I’m using 0402 on the 0603 pads for ease of soldering.

I’m now at the point where I’m wondering how to test this thing. I don’t have a pi with a 40 pin connector, I think I’ll try to strap it to a model B. I also don’t have a lattice jtag pod, it’s still on the shopping list. Needs more investigation.

I’ll update this post as I progress.

6 Likes

I like your flame proof surface :slight_smile: Is that a cookie baking sheet?

Can you tell us why you chose Lattice over Xilinx or Altera? (not that I think the other brands are better, I just think that your reasoning could be educational to the readers)

On the FPGA build logs that I have read, the builders tend to add the fpga last as it’s the most expensive part of the board, so they want to check the power supplies before soldering it on.

Great job on the soldering, I’m finding that I get great results with just a hot air rework station too (rather than using the reflow oven).

Looking forward to seeing it in action

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Silicone-Fiberglass-Baking-Sheet-Rolling-Dough-Pastry-Cakes-Bakeware-Liner-Pad-Mat-Oven-Pasta-Baking-Cakes/32647763127.html

Because I already have boards from Xilinx and Altera! This fpga is under $10 too.

This isn’t my design so I don’t feel a need for my usual caution. I’ll always bring it up on a current limited supply.

Ooh, iCE40’s! They’re nice little FPGAs. One great thing about them is that there’s a completely open source synthesis/map/par/bitstream flow for them, and it actually works!

If anyone wants a tutorial on playing with the iCE40s, I can provide some links, or drop by the space some eve.

1 Like

Yes, it would be great if you could drop by the space and show us the iCE40s. We have a “guided-self-exploration” workshop going at the space on Thursdays (7-9pm) and Saturdays (3-6pm).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.