I need to (re)program my car key to make it work with the immobilizer

My car comes with an immobilzer. A metal key cut in the exact shape can get the engine to crank, but it won’t start unless it’s got some electronic stuff in the plastic housing the metal key. I received 2 of these special keys, but only one has the right code/password. The other one does not. Can VHS help me (re-)program the non-working key?

Fri Feb 23 17:18:53 PST 2018 update: It’s for a 2008 Toyota Yaris

Probably best to take that to a certified dealership for reprogramming.

That’s best, but probably priciest. I’d like to ”hack” to save money.

depends on the car and how many keys you have that already work.

Hey Betamax!

Sounds interesting, but challenging. It’s a system designed NOT to be broken, so you’re gonna have to do some pretty deep level stuff. Not saying it’s impossible.

You’re best to google the car and the immobilizer, and see if anyone has cracked before. If no matches there, try the manufacturer and look for something. Starting from bare scratch with no knowledge is HARD. I’d guess it uses some kind of NFC or RFID variant?

In my old car, the circuit was embedded, but separate from the remote-keyless part. I know because I had to tape the circuit board to the key when I broke the keyless entry bit (got it wet)

You might find somebody on here who has experience with your car/these systems if you are comfortable posting details, but your best luck would be finding details online, and then asking here for help sending ODB/canbus commands, following some kind of guide.

With a Ford that uses the chipped key, you can program a 3rd key if you have 2 working keys.
If you only have a single working key then a dealership is the place to go. You may be able to hack something - but don’t forget if you break (un-program) the good key then you have the cost of a tow to the dealership.

SteveRoy,

It’s a 2008 Yaris. Only one key can start the car.

Thanks for your reply, Rob.

It’s a 2008 Yaris. What other details are helpful to provide?

Toyota Downtown charges $130. Yikes!

Abbotsford Toyota:
One key that has all the remote lock/unlock buttons: $330.93 with cutting and programming, comes to a total of $413
One just starts the car: $68.58 Plus taxes plus cutting and pgrommaming which is $80. So $148 plus taxes.

Try this!

Might work on your car. This was from a quick google.

1 Like

Thanks! Video looks easy to follow. As guy says, “It’s like a Nintendo video game cheat code.” Lol.

If that doesn’t work, try to see what else you can find. I saw one that called for pulling out the computer, soldering a serial port to it and editing the raw hex. That’s what I would consider “not worth it”, even at $150. Post what you find here, be happy to give you an estimate of whether or not it’s above the “fuck it” level

Hmmm… in the video, the guy puts the working key beside the ignition and
the security light goes off. But it doesn’t seem to work with my car. So I
don’t think his method will work for 2008 Yaris

Look for/buy the factory service manual, it will have the procedure for adding keys into the immobilizer.

There are two methods:

• Erase all keys and enter new ones. You need a special license to do this as you need to call a service in Ontario to request the immobilizer unlock code based on your VIN. They only give it out to certified, licensed security technicians
  • Use your existing key to add new keys. Your existing key must be able to start the engine AND be recorded as a “master” key in the immobilizer. The two keys that come with the vehicle when new are both “masters”. Any other keys copied/cloned/duplicated after that are “slaves”. You can only use a “master” key to add more keys. You can also use a “master” key to erase all other non-“master” keys from the immobilizer.

How do I know if my key is a “master”? Procedure varies by vehicle, instructions are in Factory Service Manual.

How do I add keys? Procedure varies by vehicle, instructions are sometimes included in the vehicle owner’s manual. They are included in the Factory Service Manual.

Where do I get the Factory Service Manual or the Immobilizer Reset Key?
see https://techinfo.toyota.com/
You can get 48 hour access to the Factory manual for $15 from TechInfo.

If you have the Factory Service Manual and still can’t figure it out, buy me some beer and I’ll see what I can do

3 Likes

Hectorh, thanks for an informative reply. I’ll try to find a service manual online.

I’ll give you my favorite beer as well as my favorite drink (smoothie).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.