How to send email from my NAS to myself?

I have a NAS setup in my house and I want it to send alert emails as needed.
Can I do that via smtp.google.com? I have tried to research it on my own… so far none of my test emails get through.
If you have the know how, please link me to a valid tutorial or something.
Thank you!

You have to create an app password, then you can use the usual SMTP authn mechanisms

Does that still work? I thought Google disabled app passwords and now requires you to create a developer account and go through a review process to use Gmail in a non-standard way. At least, that’s what I found when I wanted to use Gmail IMAP from a shell script. That was only for receiving emails, though.

Yahoo does still support a similar style of app password, FYI. That’s what I ended up using.

I still have the option here: https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords :man_shrugging:

edit:

App Passwords can only be used with accounts that have 2-Step Verification turned on.

You should have this turned on for all your important google accounts!

Maybe it’s because you already had it enabled before the change? I think on new accounts (I needed a burner account for specific event) maybe you can’t.

In any case, if that option is still available, that’s great!

@iMakeRobots, here is a tutorial: How to Send SMTP Email using Raspberry Pi

There’s nothing in there that’s really specific to RPi, it should be similar on any Linux machine.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.