How do I ban a someone from the space?

Don’t Panic !
This is part of the the culture topics and I don’t want to actually ban anyone from the space.
I hope no one else wants to ban anyone either.

We don’t have a standard process. This topic does not come up very often. When it does, it normally for a very clear and obvious reason.

Good reasons to ban someone from the space.

• Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, Classism.
  • Theft
  • Violence
  • Performing Illegal acts at the space - Assumed the space is bugged.
  • Gross safety negligence after repeated conversations about safety.
  • Sexual harrassment
  • ???

Bad reasons to ban someone from the space.

• They painted the walls red.
  • They believe in things that you do not believe in.
  • They get drunk and say stupid shit.
  • They are using the tool that you want to use.
  • Their project takes up too much space.
  • They drink the last beer, or drain the keg.
  • ???

Currently
This is the process as I see it.

1. Talk to the individual that you are have a problem with. They might not understand that they are causing problems or they maybe able to explain why they are doing something.
  • If you do not feel safe about having a conversation with this individual go to the directors immediately.
  1. Consult with other VHS members privately. They maybe able to either talk to the individual or help you understand why they are doing what they are doing.
  2. Send a email to the directors@vanhack.ca describing the problem. They will investigate and attempt to resolve the issues if its possible.
  3. If you feel that the directors have not resolved your issue, or their resolution is not fair. Make a post about it on talk in the MEMBERS ONLY SECTION. This step should not be done lightly, Please consider peoples privacy. Please respect our directors.
  4. If needed we can have a special QGM and you can propose the banning of this individual.

History

• VHS has banned one person from the space entirely. Allan a.k.a. DJ Wreck Beach. QGM notes. He has never been a VHS member.
  • VHS temporarily banned Jeffery Wilkins (aka DJ Jeff) QGM Notes. His ban has since expired and he is welcome back at VHS. He has never been a VHS member.

I will not publish the reason publicly, PM me if you NEED to know.

2 Likes

I think a category like sexual harrassment might be good to add… Not that I’m being harrassed or want to ban anyone…just a category that would be good to have in there. The process bit is great. ++

2 Likes

Thanks for keeping this going.

I think these topics should all have a headline like “Culture: How do I …”, it is less alarming.

1 Like

I think another part of point 4 is that someone other than you can bring it up as a motion; in case someone isn’t comfortable in bringing it forth for voting.

I was trying to be alarming.
Sensational headlines get people to read topics!

Agreed. Updated.

Sensational headline

Things I can DO or SAY to get myself banned from the space.

Next question:

Things that a group of people can DO or SAY to get themselves banned from
the space.

If everyone did, said these things would we ban ourselves collectively
from the space?

Final question:

If the answers for all questions are not the same, why NOT?!?!

To:tdwebste I’m not trying to put you on the spot, I am actually having trouble deciphering your words.

Just to be clear, from what you posted: banded == banned? and band == ban? Right?

discourse allowed me to go back in time and fixed it.