Help with Sony TCM-2 repair

Hi folks,

I have an issue with the fast forward and rewind on a Sony Walkman due to a missing washer.

I need a very small flat washer. Its the black one in the photos and I have a red arrow pointing to it in the attached images. It’s also I split washer (although I could cut one to make it a split if needed) and it goes around a small screw the diameter that is width of a tack’s pin head (very small!). Anyways, it main purpose is to apply pressure the top of the plastic part holding down the spring. Have a look at the pictures, it’s pretty obvious. Does anyone have one of these or could anyone help me out?

Happy to bring it in and open it up to show you. Feel free to email me at aphillips24@gmail.com

—Andrew

If you can take the washer out and take it somewhere like home hardware often they can help you find something similiar. Also - that’s a great old walkman. Glad you are keeping it going.

I feel that the first step needs to be getting some dimensions. Inner diameter (ID), outer dimeter (OD), and thickness. If yours is missing than this is tough. Maybe trawl on some vintage audio repair forums and see if someone has one they can measure with callipers? Or measure the mating parts in your walkman with callipers and come up with some numbers?

Once you have measurements then it should be easy. If wear and strength is not important, you could laser cut this out of a sheet of mylar film. Or if you don’t mind paying through the nose for shipping, you can order a very accurate part from McMaster-Carr.

I can’t really tell what it’s purpose is from your photo and description. The white plastic part seems to be doing most of the retaining. The tiny black part just looks like its acting as a shim.

Sorry, I know Im not really helping here…

Sorry did not realize you’d didn’t have the washer. I second Luke’s suggestion of posting on some forums or trying to make your own.

These may be a good start:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cassetteculture/
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiorepair/

I probably do. Send me the diameter of the shaft. It may take me a day or two as that parts bin is in storage.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.