Help with some CNC wooden Letters (Plywood)

Hello everyone,
since I had no training with the CNC machine, I am looking for some help with a rather time sensitive project.

I need to to cut some large wooden Letters ( 14"x14" | 35x35cm) out of 5/8″​ or 3/4″​ Plywood.
I would do these with a laser cutter but I heard it would take the laser a long time if at all possible!

The Design is simple and 2D.

Are you able to make up the thickness out of 2 or 3 thinner sheets glued together? That could be a workaround to do it on the laser if you are pressed for time.

That became my Plan B, since the Letter are for an outdoor Sign and I am not so sure what the rain will do to them!
If you think it will hold up, I could reconsider the Laser option!

I imagine if you use a waterproof glue like Titebond 3, and seal it with a good finish, it should last a long time. I’m sure there’s someone else here who could offer more useful advice.

1 Like

Yeah if you’re in time crunch the laser cutter is the way to go. You could either laminate multiple layers together, or you could cut a template and then use bandsaw/jigsaw to rough cut the letters out of thicker material, and then trim it precisely using a router with a template routing bit.

Titebond 2 and Titebond 3 are waterproof, then you can use an exterior grade paint or polyurethane finish to seal it.

I have some sheets of 1/4" Baltic birch plywood available for purchase at the space (I’m selling them at cost for $20 per 30x30" sheet).

1 Like

Thank you for the Advice. It seems like Laser cutting wins!
@JohnC How many sheets do you have? I need at least 6 30x30" sheets.

This is exactly how i would go about this with a trim router. The only downside though is that you’ll never get perfectly sharp corners. You’ll need to bust out a chisel to finish it out.

Not sure. I think I have 6. They’re stored underneath one of the A-frame whiteboards and labelled with my name.

Thank you John, I will let you know if I need them.

If you are looking to contract this out (and expect superb results), @Hekseskudd may be able to run this on his machine.

Thanks for the kind reference Luke!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.