Headphone cord wrap/clip

So my headphones have this ridiculously long cord on them, it’s like 5.5 feet long. When my phone is in my pocket the cord sometimes gets caught under my knee! Seeing everyone working on the 3D printers on tuesdays got me thinking I should do something about this problem finally, so I’ve started sketching out designs for a little bit to deal with the cord.

These are just rough ideas to play with different shapes, I haven’t taken any measurements or anything yet.

The two on the left are based on the idea of just ‘picking up the slack’: the broad channel would hook on the top of my pants, while the small channel holds up the cord.

The two on the right would go inline, with the cord being wrapped around the device several times to shorten it, and then the small hooks/channels keep the wrap in place.

The ones on the left look much more “printable” to me but picking up the slack feels like a kind of half-assed solution. Next step is going to be to take some measurements and maybe a make few quick prototypes out of coardboard (e.g. so I know how many times I’ll need to wrap the cord to get enough shortening).

A few questions for those in the know:

1. I’d like these to be as thin as possible, for lightness. What kind of thicknesses do you think are reasonable for the clip, and wrap guards, to ensure they don’t just snap or bend?

2. How flexible are the printing materials? Should I make the clips tight so the squeeze on, or assume they’ll be rigid and add some teeth instead?

1 Like