Guest Speaker: Affordable & Open Gigabit Optical Networking May 13, 2017 @ 1pm

Join us for this public event, held on 13 May 2017, at 1 pm in Vancouver Hack Space, where Luka Mustafa, a Slovenian based, London educated Shuttleworth Foundation Fellow, founder of open hardware Institute IRNAS, will be presenting open source open hardware networking solution KORUZA and other open hardware projects he and his team have been developing in the past few years.

KORUZA is first open source, easily scalable wireless optical communication system for urban environments, which is circumventing a whole set of limiting factors: cable laying expenses, regulations, territory ownership, frequency congestion etc. Using transceivers ten times cheaper than other optical connectors, KORUZA can be set-up cheap and in a matter of hours. It can connect locations up to 150 m apart, empowering last-mile networking with 1 Gbps and 10 Gbps throughputs.

BIO Luka:
Luka Mustafa is a Shuttleworth Foundation Fellow, working full-time on wireless optical system KORUZA development at Institute IRNAS Rače in Slovenia that he founded in 2014, as well as being a PhD student at University College London. He leads a multidisciplinary team developing open systems ranging from CNC machines to electronics and fibre optic systems, promotes and deploys open wireless networks in wlan slovenia project and manages national and international wireless backbones.

About IRNAS:
At Institute IRNAS Rače we strive to apply the vast scientific knowledge to everyday reality by creating effective and affordable systems. We believe in an open-source world and sharing and we aim to empower the world with technologies that improve lives, let that be an advanced communication system or a simple everyday utensil. We are non-profit, rewarding the ones that create, always exploring new projects and ideas. All our work is published under open-source open-hardware licenses.

Websites and social links:
IRNAS: http://irnas.eu
KORUZA: http://koruza.net
GoodEnoughCNC: http://goodenoughcnc.eu
Github: Development of advanced applied systems / IRNAS · GitHub
FB: IRNAS | Maribor
Twitter - IRNAS: https://twitter.com/institute_irnas
Twitter - KORUZA: https://twitter.com/KoruzaFSO
LinkedIn: IRNAS Institute for Development of Advanced Applied Systems | LinkedIn

If you are interested, please reply below so we can gauge numbers

4 Likes

Do we need to sign up or just show up?

I plan on coming.

Hey @tdwebste, there isn’t any signup, but I’m glad your replied. It is useful to gauge interest so I know approximately how many are coming.

I’m interested!

I’m in

I would be all over it if it wasnt my wedding anniversary. Will send to my staff team.

Thank you for organizing this exciting talk, I would love to attend!
Best Regards,
RK

Will this be recorded on put online. I’d love to attend, but have other
commitments that day :frowning:

I am interested.

I will be attending.

I’ll do my best to show up (getting windshield replaced in the morning)

Bump. Just want to remind everyone this is happening today!

Luka Mustafa talk at VHS was inspiring! He talked about 3 different hardware products that he’s been involved with. These were GoodenoughCNC inexpensive and Good Enough to get the job done CNC router, Safecast an environmental monitoring and Radiation Mapping tool and platform, and Koruza a Wireless Optical Communications platform!

All files, sources are on github

I’ve included some photos and comments below from his talk.

A bit about Luka.

Luka holding is The Wireless Optical Communications unit.

Interesting fact… They built a long tunnel and filled it with “fog” to do environmental testing. So unit will work not too badly in fog, rain, snow, smog etc. Also found out that buildings move a lot during the day/night as a result of thermal expansion contraction. Need to account for this in design.

Some of the Koruza development prototypes. Elements of the open source 3D printers made it into this design

Safecast Environmental Monitoring

Safecast scanned area around Fukishima

Off Grid Solar Powered Safecast unit with self contained battery management system.

Interior of demo box

Battery Power Module

GoodEnoughCNC. The idea is just ship the essentials and let everything else be sourced locally. So CNC frame is made from steel bar which is available world wide. All files and designs are available on github.

I’m thinking we should build one of these for VHS.

ToslinCNC- Fibre optic cnc machine control system.

CNC machine with solar panels

Goodenoughcnc hooked up to a plasma torch in Nepal.

The shipped components of the GoodenoughCNC

System breakdown diagram. Interesting thing about this design is that all modules are optically isolated with optical fibre being used communicate between all modules.

All design files. board gerbers, etc can be found here on github .
Check this and all the other projects out if you have time!

Lukas Key Guidelines for open HW Design

His suggestions for debugging features to add to all your circuit boards

Some other initiatives he is involved with:

The attendees! I’m not in the photo as I was taking it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.