Growing Plants on West Lawn

Hi all, I was wondering about the grass on the side of the building; is maintaining/mowing this area our responsibility or the landlord’s? If it’s ours, what are some simple/low maintenance ways to make this green space better? My idea would be to buy a bag of wildflower seeds and spread them over the whole lawn to make it look like this: https://www.bchydro.com/news/conservation/2016/bridgeport-pollination-corridor.html Another possibility (with permission from the landlord of course) would be to build several raised planter beds for a VHS community garden; I wonder if the city would give us money to do that?

Any thoughts?

6 Likes

It looks like we are responsible for landscaping:

Repair

The Tenant shall at all times during the Term at its own cost and expense repair, maintain, and
keep in good state of repair the Premises and all improvements, equipment and fixtures therein
contained, including, without limiting the foregoing, walls, floors, ceiling, exterior and interior
doors, windows, glass partitions, glass and plate glass within the Building or attached to or
forming part of any exterior or partition wall of the Building, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning,
mechanical, plumbing and electrical equipment and fixtures within the Building, all roof areas,
fencing, paved areas and landscaping.

1 Like

Cat-head topiary? Yes please! :wink:

But srsly if we are thinking mural long term we might want to take any plant/garden design stuff into consideration so the mural can be seen. Mural stuff is likely a ways off tho.

2 Likes

We used birdsfoot trefoil to smother out other weeds. It is extremely drought hardy and grows in compacted ground.
It might not be the perfect choice. An idea to start the discussion and search.

Might need one of these on the grass. https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/amws2o/interactive_light_seesaw/

3 Likes

Now that is very cool!

I am strongly in favor and will assist in watering aftet if we rent a rotatiller first. Wildflowers look great and are an easy first step with zero upkeep. A raised planting bed would ultimately be desirable as a community garden would endeer us with the neighbours but low priority atm.
Note: Lead paint contamination would necessitate the raised bed and new soil brought in if anything enable is grown.

1 Like

I think a mason bee house would be cool too. They can apparently gather/pollinate up to 100m from the house.
Though the West wall isn’t ideal it would work.

1 Like

Fun fact, it looks like our property line ends at the building

Source: Data and maps | City of Vancouver

Which means all that garden between the building and sidewalk is most likely City of Vancouver land.
Good news though, you can garden on Boulevards.
See guidelines here: https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/boulevard-gardening-guidelines.pdf
Garden boulevard | City of Vancouver

Would anyone mind if I planted a rose bush in/on the west lawn?

2 Likes

That sounds amazing

I think bad news it’s still your responsibility to maintain it. I have a 16’ x 130’ piece beside my house that for which maintance eats time (collecting garbage sucks for one thing).

@steveroy a rose sounds excellent! What kind are you thinking of planting?

It’s a “Love and Peace”
We made a raised bed and moved some roses around and didn’t have room for it anywhere.
It’s quite healthy, so should re-plant just fine.

1 Like

I built some garden boxes at my old house that were pretty productive… It was about $500 in materials for two boxes, roughly 4x8’ and about a foot deep. We just stuck them on top of the lawn, and used some old burlap sacks to separate the lawn from the dirt.

IIRC my design used about 16’ of 4x4" post for the corners, and 96’ of 2x6" (two-up) for the sides, plus assorted nuts and bolts to hold it all together. I designed it to be disassemblable, but getting rid of the dirt would be a lot more effort than taking the boxes apart :wink:

btw https://farm.bot/ would be an extremely apt choice except 1) cost and 2) theft

Can someone please water the rose bush I planted by the side door.
I won’t be into the space for a week or so.
A good soaking!
Thanks

1 Like

Does anyone have a problem with me attaching a small mason bee house on the west wall of VHS?
It would be down by the lane end so it’s closer to the residential area.

1 Like

Also extremely on board with this

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.