Group order of V-Slot from Openbuilds?

I am preparing to order some v-slot from Openbuilds and thought I would see if there is any interest in a group buy. This stuff has a slightly different profile than the standard t-slot extrusion that you can get from Misumi, McMaster, Rocky Mountain, Solarbotics, etc.

Are you planning a delta/kossel style 3d printer build?

Steve

Aluminum extrusion is very expensive to import. Expect large nasty x-border fee if ordering from outside Canada.

Solarbotics carries OpenBeam, which is designed for M3 nuts and screws.

From what I have read, the anti-dumping fees only apply to extrusion originating from China. If it’s made in the USA, which v-slot is, it is covered by NAFTA. Openbeam is standard t-slot extrusion, useful stuff but not quite the same as v-slot.

@SteveRoy, I am building the HercuLien, a large format cartesian. Similar basic design as the Ultimaker but larger bed, fully enclosed for ABS, and a modular extruder so I can easily swap between hard and soft filament.

I’ve had McMaster cancel orders on me because of the anti dumping tariffs.
It was US material. They have lumped a bunch of alloys together. It’s not
the shape, so much as the alloy that determines if the tariff applies.

Goods subject to anti-dumping or countervailing duties:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/sima-lmsi/mif-mev-eng.html

Near the bottom you will find “aluminum extrusions” which links you to the details contained in Memorandum D15-2-54. Emphasis added by me.

blahblahblah… The CBSA will therefore continue to impose anti-dumping duties on dumped importations and countervailing duties on subsidized importations of certain aluminum extrusions originating in or exported from the People’s Republic of China, pursuant to the Special Import Measures Act (SIMA).

And from the memorandum itself: D15 - Special Import Measures Act – Investigations

1. A description of the goods subject to anti-dumping and countervailing duties is as follows:

aluminum extrusions produced via an extrusion process, of alloys having metallic elements falling within the alloy designations published by The Aluminum Association commencing with 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 or 7 (or proprietary or other certifying body equivalents), with the finish being as extruded (mill), mechanical, anodized or painted or otherwise coated, whether or not worked, having a wall thickness greater than 0.5 mm., with a maximum weight per meter of 22 kilograms and a profile or cross-section which fits within a circle having a diameter of 254 mm., originating in or exported from the People’s Republic of China.

It seems pretty clear to me that the central criterion is that the product originates in or is exported from China. Perhaps McMaster is reselling Chinese extrusion, or they are just twitchy about the issue and don’t really care about selling to Canada. I will call the CBSA next week and confirm my interpretation and the paperwork requirements to make sure it doesn’t get caught up, plus I am also waiting for double confirmation about the country of origin. Still, I have checked in with someone who recently bought v-slot from Openbuilds and he didn’t get nailed with any tariffs.

The material from McMaster wasn’t even extruded profile. It was some funky alloy that was used for bike parts. The Alloy was produced by Kaiser 7068 round bar. I tried negotiating with the McMaster guy on the phone, but it was a no go. 101% dumping tariff.

I phoned the CBSA and confirmed that the anti-dumping fees only apply to extrusions originating in China. As long as the shipment has the correct HS code and the origin is a US state, then it should not get flagged for SIMA. Sounds to me like McMaster either didn’t label your shipment correctly or they are distributing Chinese alloy. It’s not where it ships from, it’s where it is manufactured that counts.

I take it no one is interested in a group order order so I’m going ahead with it myself. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I really want to build a delta/kossel style 3d printer (just because to look so cool printing). I know they use openbeam but I haven’t researched them enough yet.

Steve

Checkout Makerparts.ca if your looking for openbuilds parts in canada.