Group build, little boats?

Not sure yet of this, but, @Gibbtall posted an insanely cute/cool boat on slack

Here is the page linked from the video:

Plans are $95 bucks, (and an additional $20 per boat, which, is reasonable). I believe we’d have all the tools needed at VHS to build this. He lists a full BOM, and it still isn’t “cheap”. Project with wood is gonna be over $1000.

That said, anyone interested? If anyone builds one, I promise to take us all out on my sailboat with a string of these in tow behind us, bring us out to a beach and we can show off.

Storage is gonna be an issue, I’m gonna try to call it a bike and put it in bike storage :smiley:

Anyone interested? I’m not decided yet, but god damn, this thing hits home for my interests.

6 Likes

I would tentatively volunteer some of my time to help someone else build
one of these

not sure if there are plans available for steam-bent hulls, but we do have a wood steamer and more importantly, a steam generator (if our wood steamer isn’t long enough, then we can fasion a box, temporary or not.

I’d be happy to help here and there, but probably won’t make one myself.

1 Like

This is way too rich for my blood as currently proposed. I bet we could get by with much shittier plywood if we put some thought into mitigating the resulting structural issues.

Watching the video is pretty illuminating as to why marine plywood is a
good choice.

Like the builder says, you’re going to put a huge amount of effort into
building it in the first place. I’d be careful about sabotaging yourself by
skimping on materials.

1 Like

Being that it is basically a “stitch & glue” boat and is getting covered in fiberglass cloth, you don’t have to use marine grade plywood.
As cute and fun as it looks it is a very expensive boat for the use it would get and how practical it is.

1 Like

So, still haven’t let this idea die yet. Seems SO neat and fun. One mod I’d like to make would be a retractable outrigger on one side to provide stability if you wanted to work on something off the side. God these things are cute.

for that kind of money you could almost buy a pedal boat with a trolling motor.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sun-dolphin-pedal-boat-5-person-0798280p.0798280.html

last summer our team rented a few pedal boats on deer lake, and had a blast. I couldn’t help but realize how easy it would be to add power.

baby eat this chicken slow
it’s full of all them little boats

But then I’d have to be seen in a paddle boat… :stuck_out_tongue:
That’s like being seen on a scooter, it’d ruin my street cred.

Paddle boats rock! But I’d rather build a strip or S&G kayak than a mini-boat, though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.