Grand re-re-re-re-Opening and SHHH - Feb 21st from 12:00 Noon till late

FYI I’ve decided to do a how-to-solder night separately from SHHH…likely Feb 12th. If I can also do it at SHHH I will, but due to my schedule may be out of commission that day so don’t want to commit.

TLDR: I might show up and teach people to solder at SHHH.

1 Like

To update on the LED cake:

I did some experimentation of my own, and it seems that angel food cake is too opaque to use for the LED matrix (this was the conclusion of the original project). I started with 2 super bright white LEDs and worked my way up to using a 9-led flashlight. Basically the effect is too subtle to work in a lit room even using a ludicrous amount of LEDs . So an all-cake led matrix doesn’t seem feasible unless the cake is 2cm thick.

The other option is the jello/cake concoction as linked above. In my opinion, jello and cake don’t mix; so I thought why not make jello shots instead. I assume since beer is already being served then other alcoholic items are OK as well? Basically an 8x8 array of jello cups back-lit by the led matrix.

If there are no objections then I intend to go ahead with that.

1 Like

Thanks for taking one for the team. I’m sure disposing of the cake was a
horrible inconvenience. I wonder if fondant would work as a diffuser if
rolled thin enough…

++jello shot matrix

1 Like

Now the real question is… Can we play LED-Tetris with the Jello cups?

Stop motion, but now we drink the disappearing ones?

Love the “Bring your own cup” aspect…! Woot. #zerowaste for the win! :slight_smile: Excited for this, should be super fun time!

Just a heads up

@Big_Mak has volunteered to make the challenge coins. The preview images look great ! Looking forward to it.

We are looking for someone/company to donate the beer

We are looking for people to watch the beer so no minors get a hold of it

We are looking for people to help clean up the next day

Volunteer and Help us!

I’ll volunteer to be the booze hound to keep those kitties away, I suppose. Side bonus, I’m Serving it Right certified.

oh ya, we should probably have people that have that!

This is also open data day on the 21st. After the open data hackathon is done, open data hackers will come by to join the party.

Do we need another keg?

3 Likes

Are you offering? :open_mouth:

It sounds like I am!

1 Like

Woot !

I don’t have a vehicle for the event through. If someone could pick it up I
will reimburse… I just need a receipt. Any volunteers?

1 Like

Challenge coins for the lighting talks were created by http://coastprecisioncnc.com/ and @Big_Mak. They look wonderful

6 Likes

Due to the limited amount of challenge coins, we will only be able to accommodate a limited amount of speakers for the lightning talks and speakers. @funvill will be taking names and topics thought out the night and I will try my best to select the best ones.

Start thinking about what your lighting talk is going to be about.

1 Like

Great night. Thanks to everyone.

2 Likes

Such memories. Much enjoy. Many feels. Wow.

1 Like