Free/Open-source ERP Software For Managing Inventory, Project Builds

Does anyone use an ERP software to manage their projects?

Personally I’m interested in managing my inventory of electronics parts + BOMs, as well as tracking all built units with e.g. build notes, calibration/test results, repair logs (PLM).

My ideal workflow (which I may have to build slowly/some day), would be uploading a Digikey order, existing inventory gets incremented. Then when building a project, it will decrement all the relevant parts (and/or tell me what I need to order). Ideally it would also store e.g. DXF/STL files so I know what things I also need to build. Barcode scanning/printing support is a definite nice-to-have.

In all my design software I would just reference the ERP part ID, and can e.g. make changes to suppliers/pricing info without having to update project files.

So far I’ve looked at the following 3 open-source choices (having a free core/community edition, at least. I would be most comfortable with a lightweight self-hosted version rather than a cloud/SaaS):

ERPNext:
https://erpnext.com / GitHub - frappe/erpnext: Free and Open Source Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
Python, GPLv3. Fully open-source.

Tryton:
http://www.tryton.org / GitHub - tryton/trytond: Mirror of trytond
Python, GPLv3. Fully open-source.

Odoo
https://www.odoo.com / GitHub - odoo/odoo: Odoo. Open Source Apps To Grow Your Business.
Python, LGPLv3. Has self-hosted open-source community edition (but features such as barcodes, and product upgrades, are proprietary + paid).

I’m super curious about what everyone else is using, how your workflow is organized, and any other suggestions you may have!

4 Likes

Suggestions from Slack conversation on #random-projectry thread:

Courtesy of @mike:
Shotgun

Proprietary, Cloud/SaaS.

Courtesy of @rsim (his custom software!):
HardInventory
GitHub - ProxxiTech/HardInventory: Inventory management for hardware startups
Javascript, MIT. Fully open-source.

Courtesy of @jarrett:
PartsBox

Proprietary, Cloud/SaaS.

3 Likes

I reviewed all the options that I had found at one point:

https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/home-parts-inventory/5557?u=jarrett

But since then, I’ve stuck with @rsim’s HardInventory, because I’m pretty into the Google Sheets backend for when I don’t actually feel like dealing with a front end, and it’s simple enough

2 Likes

I ended up going with Tryton:

Pros:

• Open-source (and always has been, no premium or proprietary features), self-hosted. GPL as a license isn’t too bad although I personally prefer the MIT license (such as HardInventory uses). Eliminates Shotgun, PartsBox, and Odoo.
  • Supports postgresql, which I am already using. Eliminates ERPNext.
  • ERPNext (my second choice) seemed a bit unpolished, perhaps because it is from non-English speakers, but it still impacted my experience.
  • Tryton has a clear module/plugin system, and a scripting API. I added a barcode plugin and it worked.
  • Has a multi-platform desktop client app
  • The “GNU Health” project is based on it and extends it for FOSS hospital management, and I support the intent and scale of that project and their choices for building it on Tryton.

Cons:

• Doesn’t have a iOS / Android app.
  • No integration with e.g. Digikey, Mouser.
  • Quite a lot of initial setup – it started with almost nothing and you need to add the modules you want, then configure the details (basic Business/Employee/Accounting info just to start, but may be useful later)

I can share the infrastructure / setup details with anyone who is interested.

And now, I’ve got a barcode scanner and boxes of old digikey parts to go through!

3 Likes

This looks interesting, too:

1 Like

I need to get started with one of these. I’ve used ERPNext for a couple years for the CRM aspects, but have switched over to a free plan on Hubspot which is working well. ERPNext was very unpolished and I didn’t even get to trying out the inventory/manufacturing aspects of it.

My needs:

• Track inventory of parts from Digikey, AE/TaoBao, and other suppliers (everything from electronics to pipe fittings to hose to acrylic sheet)
  • Track the location of the inventory. My stuff is spread out between my home shop, my office, and VHS. Unfortunately it’s incredibly common for a critical component to be at the wrong place when I’m trying to build something.
  • Track inventory of subassemblies. I want to be able to create an internal work order to create QTY:6 of a given subassembly, and have the system know it’s BOM and debit the inventory of all inputs required, and credit the inventory of the subassembly.
  • Include the working files and assembly instructions (photos, etc.) to make each subassembly.

It looks like Tryton could do all this, but the demo looks far too complicated. Like I would have to spend some time disabling the many features I don’t want to use.

@paulreimer it sounds like you’re up to speed with it. Could I convince you to meet up with me for a beer and a config-a-thon?

@paulreimer @lukecyca, I’ve done DigiKey, Mouse and TME interface in Python a few months ago. We could reuse it. I use Tryton for other purposes, but it could be excellent for Quotations, BoMs and manufacturing as well.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.