Free computers, must take by end of week

We’re purging old computers. They are all on the “Freecycling” shelf at VHS. I am going to clear these out ASAP. If you don’t grab what you want by end of week they’ll be gone.

Some have hard drives, some don’t. Best estimates are in the table below.

Name CPU CPU Passmark Score Memory (gb) Primary Storage
Anitec Intel Core 2 Quad ? 3,000 4 NA
vhs-optiplex1 Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 2,054 8 NA
vhsdesktop-2 Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 1,232 4 80GB
vhsdesktop-3 Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 1,232 4 250GB
vhsdesktop-4 Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 1,232 8 NA
vhsdesktop-1 Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 1,232 2 NA
vhs-unknown2 Intel Core2 Duo 6400 2.13GHz 802 2 320GB
3 Likes

None of these are the old Solidworks computer are they>

Nope

Perhaps any left could be donated to the Neil Squire Society?

3 Likes

I checked with our computer donation program staff at Neil Squire. We only install Windows 10 as part of being a Microsoft Refurbisher, and their thoughts are these machines won’t “meet the muster” to run that OS.

Perhaps FreeGeek? Believe they run older OSs / Linux, which may be more suitable for this hardware.

https://www.freegeekvancouver.org/recycle.html

2 Likes

Thanks! Saved me the call! Freegeek it is!

2 Likes

Windows 10 works well on Core 2 computers, at least with a Core 2 Duo E8400 or Core 2 Quad Q9450 and at least 8 GiB, preferably 16 GiB, of main memory if you use a SATA SSD instead of an HDD and a video card, maybe not with the video controller integrated on the motherboard, if any, but 16 GiB is usually the maximum amount of main memory for a Socket T/LGA775 motherboard; many of these motherboards only support up to 8 GiB or even only 4 GiB. An otherwise fast computer running from an HDD instead of an SSD will have a bad user experience so if these computers are deemed too old but are running from an HDD then comparing them to a newer computer running from an SSD is not a good comparison. I still use Core 2 computers as my primary computer at my home and office (separate computer in each place) but they were way too slow while still running from an HDD but that is because HDDs suck, not because Core 2 is too old.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.