First try at wooden leaf hinges

Here is my first try at wooden leaf hinges. The barrels are 3/8" diameter and they are 1 7/8" long with a 1/2" wide leaf. The pin is 1/8" brass rod. They still need some final cleaning up and sanding. They are prototypes for hinges that will eventually become part of a fishing fly box that I’ve been commissioned to make.

13 Likes

Wow! I know it’s a prototype, but that looks really awesome already!

1 Like

Amazing!

I love it! What’s the order of operations on that, are you cutting the fingers first or making the rounded bit first?

I cut the roundovers first then cut the fingers using my box joint jig.

2 Likes

Impressive…What if it had secret ball bearings hidden inside…

Sounds complicated…

1 Like

If you need someone to field test the prototype flybox - pick me :slight_smile:

Thanks for the offer - LOL. Actualy, the fly box is a commission - the hinges are the prototypes.

I’ll post pics of the box when it is completed.

2 Likes

nice work! I wonder how long they will last

Time will tell. I just cut the hinge mortises this evening but won’t get to gluing the hinges in until Wednesday evening at the earliest.

I plan on making more boxes with wooden hinges of various sizes and lengths and plan on putting a few of them through some day-to-day abuse to see how they stand up over time.

1 Like

I am a proponent of using wood in untradional uses as well, I have made a few fully functional swivel casters entirely out of wood (except bearings) and they function as legs for a table as well as wheels.

Love the hinges!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.