Fire Extinguishers

I have 1 of the fire extinguishers in at a local (to me) place getting a re-cert.
Do we need any more of them?
The approx cost is $55 +tax for one similar to what I have in getting the cert.

My plan is to take 1 a week to get the re-certs done.

Steve

4 Likes

The fire extinguisher wasn’t ready this morning - however a couple of things…
Talking with the staff there (if I understood correctly) that a fire extinguisher 6 to 12 old can get a re-cert by checking the pressure. After 12 years old they need to empty it an do a hydro type test.
I took our old house one in and it wasn’t worth checking as for $15 more I got a brand new one.
Basically if it’s old we are better to buy new.

So for $56.00 +tax we can get a new 5.5lb ABC refillable, advantage brand and they will put the tags on it to show when it was new and therefore get a re-cert when necessary.

I tool the liberty of buying one for VHS - which I will donate.

Since they charge $5.25 to dispose of old extinguishers we need to decide if we just keep the old ones around as extras and have a number of new or re-certs in the space to meet code/insurance or whatever.

5 Likes

I dropped off the re-certified extinguisher tonight, so we have 2 that are up to date.
I didn’t take another for a re-cert tonight as I won’t be back for a couple of weeks.
If any other member would like to do this then have at it :slight_smile:

They all need a permanent home at VHS and I also suggest we get some of the large red signs that point to their location.
Fire-Extinguisher-Arrow-Sign

https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-Extinguisher-Signs-Safety-Sticker/dp/B07F85Y9R2/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1OIO1917R7ZNS&keywords=fire+extinguisher+sign&qid=1557897805&s=gateway&sprefix=fire+extingu%2Caps%2C252&sr=8-16

8 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for doing that @steveroy. I’ll donate those signs. Will order a pack from amazon.

2 Likes

Stickers have arrived and will be in the VHS dropbox for fire extinguisher wall mounting/identification etc. I guess next step is to get mounting brackets and put the extinguishers in accessible spots.

3 Likes

i’ll see if we have any sintra kicking around work. how many stickers do we have?

1 Like

Thanks! I have a pack of 12 stickers

1 Like

The new one has the mount bracket zip tied to it - so it wouldn’t get lost :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m at the space now and can mount the extinguishers. I was thinking one in the workshop, and one upstairs (since we already have one by the first aid kit downstairs). How does that sound?

4 Likes

Sound great! Thanks a bunch for doing that.

While doing cleanup around the wood shop I found two fire extinguishers labelled to expire in 2015 or so. I moved them to the front desk area, in case someone is able to take them to be re-certified.

1 Like

Thanks @3bien I’ll take one next Tuesday and get a re-cert done on it

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.