Fire extinguisher recertification

Hi all, I noticed that we’re due to get our fire extinguishers inspected and recertified. Does anyone have a recommendation on which company we should use for this? We also have a few fire extinguishers that need to be recharged.

4 Likes

I live in New Westminster and went to a local store a couple of blocks from me on 12th Street. It was a few bucks to re-cert. I originally bought a new one for VHS than took a couple of the existing ones one at a time to get them checked (so I didn’t remove too many at one time).
A new fire extinguisher runs around $55 from memory and they will put the cert tag on it.

So really, any place that sell them should be able to re-cert for us

3 Likes

Was it this place?

A-1 Fire Supplies Ltd
(604) 526-8423

1 Like

It was Royal City Fire Supplies, but it looks like they are no longer there - they were at 633 12th Street.

Advanced Fire & Safety at 2643 Kingsway would be able to do the inspection etc

If they need a re-charge as in an empty, check and re-fill it is a few bucks more to get a brand new extinguisher, but they are the experts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, I’m planning to phone the following places tomorrow morning to get quotes, and I’ll report back here with the costs for us to approve.

RC Fire 604-929-3473
Advance Fire & Safety 604-877-2217

We are required under the Vancouver Fire Bylaw to get our extinguishers inspected annually, so we should factor this cost into our annual budget.

5 Likes

Ok, so I had Advance Fire come in today and they recertified 4 of our extinguishers for $14/ea, and provided us with 2 new reconditioned 5lb extinguishers ($40 each), and they’ll be dropping off a 10lb one for the welding area tomorrow. We had a crate full of 5 very old (30 year old) extinguishers that they recycled for us ($5 each).

Btw I moved the small 3lb laser cutter fire extinguisher since it was buried behind laser materials and was hard to reach

We’re all kosher now.

3 Likes

Great job @JohnC thanks for doing this. It’s one of those things you don’t until you need it, then you really need it! Nice to know there are fire extinguishers that will work if needed.

2 Likes

Also wanted to add - there are a bunch of the signs that are supposed to go on the wall where the extinguishers are mounted. I think @Janet bought a pack of 12 off Amazon a couple of years back and not all were used.

1 Like

I left those at the space so hopefully still around.

1 Like

Yup, we still have those. They’re on the big half-circle stainless steel table by the stairs. We’re getting two new fire extinguishers for the welding area and machine shop, so we’ll make good use of those signs.

2 Likes

Let us know if the costs need some help covering-- hope that didnt come out of your pocket.

3 Likes

No, it’s being billed to the space. Thanks for offering though!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.