Fabric Cutting Space?

Hi, so looking for somewhere in the space to cut fabric. With the craft table my concern is fabric getting dirty.

The craft table needs a new piece of 1/4" LDPE. The current one is cut up, stained, etc. Maybe worth pricing out from Industrial Paint & Plastics in Richmond.

The craft table also has provisions for having a roll of paper that can cover the entire surface for dirty jobs, and then be replaced with new paper from the roll as necessary. I’m not sure where we can get more of this stuff.

Is this what you are thinking of?
https://www.uline.ca/Product/AdvSearchResult?KeywordTyped=kraft&keywords=Kraft%20Paper%20Rolls

https://www.staples.ca/kraft+paper+roll/directory_kraft+paper+roll_20051_1_20001?autocompletesearchkey=kraft+paper+roll

So hackspace needs to buy a size of this stuff big enough to cover the crafting table https://goindustrial.ca/index.php/en/products/485/12/plastics/plastic-substrates/low-density-polyethylene-detail

1 Like

I available space to do the stuff that gets done ON the table is part of the problem. If we fix up the crafting table to be clean and nice, I think it’d be wise to put up another surface in that area for doing that kind of thing. Maybe even moving the crafting table and putting a big table where it currently is?

There is a definite need for a place to glue, organize, etc, and the main tables are better suited to people sitting down and working on whatever they’re working on.

I available space to do the stuff that gets done ON the table is part of the problem. If we fix up the crafting table to be clean and nice, I think it’d be wise to put up another surface in that area for doing that kind of thing. Maybe even moving the crafting table and putting a big table where it currently is?

HUGE ++ on this

Every Tuesday I see 2-3 people competing for space on the craft table.

Everything from appliance teardown to wood framing to cosplay. And the associates spillage of lubricants, adhesives, resins, solvents, etc.

If we’re going to replace the plastic surface to make it clean and level for fabric work, I’d recommend a the very least a semi-permanent protective cover to go over the entire craft table top.

This also speaks to working space in the woodshed getting covered with tools like the miter saw because there isn’t enough storage space.

1 Like

Is there a possible compromise for a material that would be flat (as in not warping like the current one) but light enough to be flipped at will? Then we could keep the dirty-ish side up at most times, and whoever needs a clean surface could easily flip it over before working on it?
This system would rely on members consistently flipping the surface back to its dirty side after use, which is not 100% reliable, but we may expect someone keen on having a clean surface to work on to commit on doing it for their own good…

Edit : having two half pieces instead of one might make it easier to flip, and also to buy / bring over

I called industrial plastics and paint. Seems to be roughly $150 for a 4’x6’ HDPE (arena boards) that is 1/4” thick. The plastic surface used for a kitchen cutting board that same size I was quoted $200. They apparently don’t stock LDPE

1 Like

If we replace that top it’s 100% going to get trashed again. Such is life at the hackspace. :smiley:
If people decide to pool money and buy a cutting surface for the space - how about something like this that can be stored by hanging on the wall somewhere out of harms way?

For now, I’d just give the tabletop a good clean before the sewing workshop or buy a big roll of paper to cover the top. Opus should have something like that.

Edit: paper would be kraft paper or newsprint roll.

@Janet the links I provided above show pricing for large rolls of heavy kraft paper that should be large enough to cover the table and replaced as needed. The prices are very reasonable from Staples. I also saw some rolls of kraft paper in the painting section of Home Depot on Terminal Ave. when I was there earlier today.

1 Like

I like the cutting mat idea just no idea where to find a giant one locally

Ok, so the table is 4’x8’ and found this for cutting mats, if possible to put on table or would people need to be able to store and hang a table size cutting mat? Self-Healing Cutting Mat | Stahls' Canada

I think it’s reasonable to replace every 5 years or so. It will get trashed again, eventually. But HDPE (or LDPE) is very durable and very cleanable. It should last at least a few years before it gets ugly again. It gets a lot of use and I think that’s a good thing.

1 Like

My next question is how to get old table top off and new one on once we find a 4’x8’ sheet of LDPE

Ok so called around different places and was recommended PETG as it’s the most durable. A 4’x8’ sheet that is 2mm thick is $128

A same size piece of HDPE is $102 however I was told that I’d be ending up wrecking it after a couple goes with a rotary quilting cutter

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.