Eye patch improvements (Was: Re: Access Makeathon & Vancouver Hack Space - Call for volunteers)

Continued from this thread

Coroplast seems like the obvious choice, but if it’s not used already there must be a reason, no?

I believe coroplast is coragate plastic with share edges. What is used is a
single layer of uncoragate cardbord. The thickness needs to be under 3mm
and 1mm or under is preferred. No Sharp edges!

Perhaps high density foam rubber.

So more like a boxboard, right. Yeah, foam sounds better. Seems like something where the costuming crowd might have some good material suggestions.

Maybe a lattice 3D printed in flexible filament like nylon might work? That should be able to keep it light, breathable and curved however you want it.

Can you take pictures Tim, of the existing solution? I imagine that yeah, there must be a better solution! Maybe not 3d printable materials, but something similar? Hell, maybe even a metal support frame, with washable fabric around?

Metal? That could become too hot or too cold.

3D printes nylon might work very well

3D printed ninja flex or semifex would probably be pretty nice. If you get a model I can print one out.

I’m not yet at the skill level with Fusion360 to model curved stuff like this, but I imagine an eyeglass lens outline and curvature would be a good place to start?

Here’s something existing! If you covered this is a fabric sleeve, would that be helpful @tdwebste?

If that was covered in fabric that might work quite well. But the fabric needs to be kept close to the form. There is nothing more annoying than fabric touching your eye. Being able to blink without brushing the inner fabric.

BUT, I think a flat sheet of flexible material might work better. Sew the fabric onto the sheet front and back and then cup the sheet to form a eye patch cup. Much easier to sew and keep the fabric tight to the form.

I think smaller eye patches are more attractive, but these one given it’s shape I expect would need to be large.

I expect experimentation is required and people trying different cup shapes and sizes to see which one is good.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.