Dust Collection/Collector

I would like to help this problem. Many people have identified dust collection as something that needs to be solved; specifically for the workshop.

While I’d love to say we should have a large comprehensive plan for dust collection and routing 4" tubes, I think we need to start with getting a collector and then iteratively add the lines.

I would like to start this off by offering $20 toward the cause. Ideally I would like it to live behind the back shop wall (which will take some cleaning) and have a port go through the wall near the ceiling. I’d like it to go behind that wall for noise dampening.

Here’s probably the smallest sort of idea I was thinking of, but bigger the better IMO unless someone is more familiar with these:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/tls/6014346305.html

-Mike

2 Likes

Count me in for $20 aswell

I’m in for $20 too! If we’re looking at this particular $75 listing I think that puts us over the subsidized equipment purchase threshold, VHS should be willing to kick in the remaining $15. :wink:

My only problem for that particular listing is that I am unable to go and get it (too far, small car). If someone wants to seek that one out and has the means, feel free. If there are more people interested, maybe seek out a beefier one?

I could go pick it up, especially if the dude was willing to entertain visitors at like 9:30 pm on a weeknight

1 Like

Brand new ones are not cheap! https://www.kmstools.com/woodworking-23000000/dust-collection-23030000/dust-collectors-and-filters-23030200/dust-collectors-23030201/

@Arrgh Can you poke them and start that process, make sure its still available/set up a time assuming that we’ll go with this one.

Done, emailed.

2 Likes

The most economical solution would be to get a small portable dust collector, such as the one in the Craigslist ad, and just connect it to individual machines with a short 4 inch hose as required. A 500 CFM dust collector would be sufficient. If you want to run ducting to each machine then you have to consider the significant air flow losses created by the ductwork and hoses and increase the size/CFM rating/cost of the dust collector accordingly.

A thickness planer requires 400 CFM at the dust port. A jointer requires about the same. Most other machine tools require less. Every hose, bend and foot of ducting reduces the air flow by a relatively predictable amount and will have to be calculated to properly size the collection system.

While dust collectors can be a bit loud, they are not nearly as loud as a planer or router. If you move the dust collector into a different room then you wil need to increase its size to compensate for the ducting.

However, if a ducted system is really the desired state then I am happy to invite the “dust collector committee” to see the ducting system in my shop to help them with their planning. My system uses 4" PVC sewer pipe and fittings, numerous blast gates and a few hoses. My dust collector is rated somewhere around 1000 to 1200 CFM and requires a 220V 15A circuit.

5 Likes

Special thanks to @Arrgh for braving the wilderness of Maple Ridge to get it!

8 Likes

@arrgh you are amazing! Thanks for picking that up!!!

1 Like

Good score!

1 Like

Awesome! PM me on how you’d like my $ delivered.

This will help improve all parts of the hackspace, not just the workshop; nice job on getting that!

Next step:

Anyone have a good source on adapters so we can 4" most of our existing tools? I know we can bandsaw or turn some at minimum.

1 Like

Don’t worry about the cash folks, consider it donatio.

If you’re feeling especially grateful, think of me next time you’re in a beer store: I like most craft beer that’s under 6.5% ABV. :slight_smile: But don’t go out of your way, I’m trying to cut back. :wink:

7 Likes

I just got to the space, and I wanted to clean up a bit of dust and…
gosh, in the most complimentary way that I can say this… that thing really sucks!

I didn’t actually realize how much more flow this would be over a shopvac; I knew it would be better but this is miles better.

Thank you so much for picking that up!

-Mike

5 Likes

I use a combination of 4" sewer pipe fittings and 4" dust collector fittings. You can get dust collector fittings of various types at KMS Tools, Summit Tools or Busy Bee Tools. Check the KMS or Busy Bee websites to see all the various fittings that are available.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.