Does anyone have a SWR meter I could borrow?

I’m in the process of building a J-pole antenna and need to borrow a SWR meter in order to get it set up properly. I would only need it for a couple of days…I’ll even come pick it up! :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Tom
VA7WTX

There is one on the VHS-ARC desk that you are welcome to borrow.

It may be connected inline with the existing 2m coax but its not being used
right now.

Awesome, thanks Farrell! I still haven’t been to the new space yet so good opportunity to check it out. I should be able to swing by in the next few days…

Cheers!
Tom

For those wondering…

1 Like

The meter is now in the blue Dropbox

Hey Farrell, I understand that I would need 2 coax cables to test the antenna. One from my radio to the meter and one from the meter to the antenna. I only have the one coax cable. Is there a short length of cable with the appropriate connectors available to borrow as well?

Also, I just wanted to say that I started this project in order to improve my reception because my apartment is situated in such a way that many buildings block my signal. It’s been fun and pretty easy so far. I’ll be using my handheld with this antenna. If anyone else is interested in getting together to build your own, I’d be game. Mine is a J-pole, but I’ve seen some pretty simple plans for ground plane and dipole antennas as well. It would be a good learning experience.

Cheers!
Tom

@Black_Shamrock - The patch cable you need will depend upon the antenna
connector on your radio.
There may be one or two at VHS or I may have something.
Let me know what connectors you need on each end. The SWR meter has two
female SO-239 sockets with a PL-259 male-male adapter

Farrell
https://talk.vanhack.ca/users/black_shamrock

@toptekkie - Hey Farrell. I’ve been trying to test my antenna with your SWR meter and I’m having some difficulty with the readings. The most wattage I’ve measured is just about 1 watt, which is strange because I’m testing at high power on my handheld, and therefore should be reading 5 watts, no? I’ve seen some good SWR readings but I don;t want to solder the feed connection down until I understand if what I’m doing is incorrect. While testing, I’ve also moved the coax a little to get it out of the way and it’s shifted my reading while I’ve moved it. Is this normal?

Cheers!
Tom

@Black_Shamrock https://talk.vanhack.ca/users/black_shamrock - I can
only assume the handheld is backing off the power as it is not seeing the
correct antenna impedance.
Can you get the calibration for SWR set to the Calibration point - thats
what is important to set the scale of the meter when switching it to read
SWR.
Yes moving the coax around near the antenna will affect the swr in my
experience.

Farrell

@toptekkie Hi Farrell, I decided to spend the day working on this antenna and get it finished. I was still having the issue of my radio not pushing out the maximum 5 watts, according to the SWR meter (it was showing less than 1 watt). I do see a fluctuation in the SWR when I move the feed point up and down. And then at one point when I was moving the cords around, one end on the short coax cable with the 2 x male PL-259 ends came loose from the adapter. (This is the short length of coax I borrowed in order to connect my radio to the meter). It looks like the centre conductor wire of the coax was broken off from the PL-259 adapter and the cable was really just very loosely attached (you can easily pull it away from the adapter). I now suspect that is why I was having problems getting a solid 5 watt output reading. I can try to cut back the coax a little and attempt to fix the coax, but not sure I can given the placement of the broken piece of centre conductor inside of the adapter. If you would prefer I left it alone, please let me know. I’ll plan to swing by the hackspace on Tuesday evening and hopefully get everything finished.

Cheers!
Tom

@Black_Shamrock - Feel free to resolder the coax jumper - thats the problem with stuff that gets donated - one never knows why.!
I plan to be at VHS after 12:00 today (Sat) and will be there most of the afternoon and will drop by again on Tuesdays eve.

@toptekkie - Ok, will do! I’ll likely see you on Tuesday then.

Morse Key image
I made my own pieces for pcb from blank board at VHS

3 Likes