Cutting Board Workshops - March 2023

Hey All

Its time to run another set of Cutting Board workshops. I’ve had some customers reach out to me to arrange some private lessons next weekend but if there are other members interested i’ll make some availability for this. A portion of the proceeds will be donated back to the hackspace.

The workshop is designed for beginners and it will give you some guided experience using several mainstay tools in the woodshop. You will use the Miter Saw, Planer/Jointer, Tablesaw, A Router (handheld or table), and Orbital sanders as part of the workshop in a supervised environment. You will get a chance to work with some domestic and exotic hardwoods all while designing something you can take home and use for years to come. I have shown some of the work done by prior members in this workshop on our instagram page if you are interested in seeing what is possible. Phillip Ma on Instagram: “Cuttingboard workshops are now open to the public for the month of December. For more information check out the discussion on Vancouver hackspace’s Community Message Board. or DM us directly. https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/cutting-board-workshops-december-2022/13726”

This is a two day workshop. To attend the workshop i’ve set specific dates to work as Day 1 and Day 2 to try and make things a bit easier to manage. Each day runs about 3-4 hours depending on the number of participants. If you are interested please reply below and let me know what dates/times work out best for you.

Tasks done during the workshop

Day 1:

• Design and plan out your cutting board and cuts.
  • Cut rough sawn lumber to rough size.
  • Tool orientation on Jointer/Planer and Tablesaw.
  • Square up the lumber and cut workpieces.
  • Glue up your pieces.

Day 2:

• jointer/planer refresh when flattening the boards
  • Tablesaw refresher to square up your cutting board
  • Route edges around the perimeter of the cutting board
  • Sanding, Sanding, Sanding
  • Grain Pop, Cleanup Break, Instructions on Finishing Steps.
  • One quick final Sanding

Dates:

Day 1 Dates:
March 11 10am - 2pm: 0/3 Spots available
March 15 4:30pm - 8pm: 3/3 Spots available
March 25 10am - 2pm: 3/3 Spots available

Day 2 Dates:
March 12 10am - 2pm: 0/3 Spots available
March 22 4:30pm - 8pm: 3/3 Spots available
March 26 10am - 2pm: 3/3 Spots available

Pricing:

Type of person Previously Oriented on the Tablesaw and Planer Jointer? Cost
VHS Member Yes 80.00
VHS Member No 130.00 - 50 dollars donated back to the hackspace on your behalf as part of the training/orientation.
Non VHS Member No 150.00 - 70 dollars donated back to the hackspace. If they become members they will be considered oriented on the Tablesaw and Jointer/Planer
4 Likes

Can has March 25/26? I’m trained on the jointer but not the tablesaw and I would like to be able to tablesaw and also have a cool cutting board so this is a good way to accomplish both!

Sounds good @flashstick. I think the cost then would be 105 then and that date works well for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.