Cutting Board Workshop - February 2024

Hey All

I’ve had a few requests to run another cutting board workshop. The workshop is designed for beginners and it will give you some guided experience using several mainstay tools in the woodshop. You will use the Miter Saw, Planer/Jointer, Tablesaw, A Router (handheld or table), and Orbital sanders as part of the workshop in a supervised environment. You will get a chance to work with some domestic and exotic hardwoods all while designing something you can take home and use for years to come. Here is an example of some of the work put out from this workshop.

This is a two day workshop. To attend the workshop i’ve set specific dates to work as Day 1 and Day 2 to try and make things a bit easier to manage. Each day runs about 3-4 hours depending on the number of participants and the volume of questions. If you are interested please reply below and let me know what dates/times work out best for you.

Tasks done during the workshop

Day 1:

• Design and plan out your cutting board and cuts.
  • Cut rough sawn lumber to rough size.
  • Tool orientation on Jointer/Planer and Tablesaw.
  • Square up the lumber and cut workpieces.
  • Glue up your pieces.

Day 2:

• jointer/planer refresh when flattening the boards
  • Tablesaw refresher to square up your cutting board
  • Route edges around the perimeter of the cutting board
  • Sanding, Sanding, Sanding
  • Grain Pop, Cleanup Break, Instructions on Finishing Steps.
  • One quick final Sanding

Dates for the workshop:
February 24th and 25th starting at 10 AM.

At this point i have one remaining spot and one more slot marked off as tentative. If you’re interested in participating please let me know.

Pricing:

Type of person Previously Oriented on the Tablesaw and Planer Jointer? Cost
VHS Member Yes 80.00
VHS Member No 130.00 - 50 dollars donated back to the hackspace on your behalf as part of the training/orientation.
Non VHS Member No 150.00 - 70 dollars donated back to the hackspace. If they become members they will be considered oriented on the Tablesaw and Jointer/Planer
2 Likes

Hi Phillip_Ma,
Count me in! I just joined VHS this morning and incidentally this is my first post here as well :slight_smile:

Welcome to the community @adheesh! we’ll be glad to have you join us!

1 Like

Hi @Phillip_Ma, I would love to take this workshop if there is still room for one more. I’ve been previously oriented on the table saw and planer jointer :wood::carpentry_saw:

@Noah unfortunately this class is full now. If there is one more person however i’ll open up a second class on a different set of dates. If not i’ll run another class before mothers day.

2 Likes

I took this workshop and it is fantastic! Highly recommended. Thanks Phil!

1 Like

Hi @Phillip_Ma,

I’m also interested in taking this class. I understand that the current class is full but if I could join another day that would be great. I haven’t used any of these tools yet.

Thanks!

Ok i can arrange another class for @Oongabu and @Noah but i’ll have to consult with the Mrs. about dates. I’m assuming weekend dates work the best for you guys so i’ll try and find a weekend i’m free.

3 Likes

Thanks! I am away from March 1st to March 16 though, but anytime after or before will be great.