Culture Crawl 2023

Hey All,

Just wanted to out some feelers to see if there are any members interested in participating in Culture Crawl again this year. @flashstick and I have already registered and we certainly welcome other VHS members to participate in the show. Many of the members make some really cool stuff and it would be great to see them on display.

Last year we had over 1800 people over 4 days come through the space to see the Art put on by @Metal_Janet @xquared @flashstick and myself. Some of those visitors we transitioned into members and we definately gained some exposure to the community. That’s 1800 possible members to the space, and 1800 possible customers to you as an artist.

If you have any questions about Culture Crawl feel free to reply to this post or raise your question in #culturecrawl on slack. Early Bird Registration is now open so if you are interested register now and save yourself 40 Dollars. This discount is open until June 16th so if you are looking to Sign up now is your best chance to save some money.

To register you can do so through this page:

5 Likes

I plan on showcasing this year as well! Thanks for the heads up.

3 Likes

I’m going to apply as well!

4 Likes

I’m going to do it again as well.

4 Likes

I’m thinking about it - we’ll see if I get my act together this year.

4 Likes

Not sure if I’d exhibit, but putting it out there that I would be happy to take some shifts at the space touring visitors and/or covering for exhibitors who wanna get out to the Crawl themselves!

5 Likes

Thanks for the offer to help out! Volunteers are always welcome to help out the week of the event. I’ll put out a reminder asking for help when the dates get closer for sure. There are plenty of ways you can volunteer from tours, to cleaning the space. Even dropping by with a few friends are great ways to get involved.

4 Likes

I’ve signed up for this year. Need to add a few more photos to my profile.

https://culturecrawl.ca/artists/majicj

Looking forward to it.

4 Likes

FYI @Tybot @elizabot @cory @demon_in_kel @Metal_Janet - Early bird registration ends tomorrow. If you haven’t signed up this is your last chance to snag that discount. So far i just see 3 registered to VHS - though some of you maybe in a different studio.

https://culturecrawl.ca/buildings/vancouver-hack-space

5 Likes

I’m late to the starting line but if there’s room, I’d love to join the festivities. As seems par for the course, I’ll be both responsible for all my own impact but also if there’s anything I need to know/do before I actually pull the trigger and sign up to show, I’ll do my darnedest!

I’ve got pretty much everything ahead of me, so a busy few months of making before I can show stuff off. Motivating, eh?

4 Likes

Looks like you can still register which is awesome!

1 Like

Awesome! the more the merrier! Once you register make sure you get your profile setup on the culture crawl website. If you don’t already have any you should consider getting some business cards printed off in case someone wants to reach out to you after the show. I had lots of people ask further questions after the show and more importantly sales from people who came through the space during the Crawl.

There is a slack channel to join #culturecrawl where we can try and get organized a bit closer to the date.

2 Likes

Sept 15 is apparently the deadline for creating/updating your Crawl artist profile for changes to make it to print and online catalogue. Get those profile photos in. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Day 1 recap:

• I counted 247 visitors to the space. Last year we did 71 and the year prior was 13 on the first day.
  • big change from last year is that with more people i think it’s much more manageable. If an artist is busy there are other artists around who can chat with them and talk a bit about the space.
  • The snacks were a great help. It was nice to have a place to grab a quick bite or snack. @taralee particularly liked the jerky and the nespresso pods kept me going after just 4 hours of sleep the night before.
  • the weather was sunny today but it was pretty cold. Extra layers for the artists are probably a good idea. We had the back doors open most of the night to let people flow through.
  • One of @flashstick 's friends came buy and i think got something from everyone setup yesterday.
  • We were short one artist yesterday since they was a late registration. They were planning to be setup on Friday. In total there should be 11 artists in the space this year.
  • Amazing work! The shop looked great and we made some good changes that made people flow through the shop much better.
9 Likes

Day 2 Recap:

• 594 today. 202 last year. We are clearly at least 2 or 3x the numbers as last year.
  • @Brad was able to setup shop today in the space.
  • Weather was good. Not as cold as the day before.
  • Bob dropped off some new lights to add to my circular arch at the back of the wood shop. Should help draw in people coming in from woodland or down the alley.
  • The table saw was turned 90 degrees and the wood shop bench was pushed back about 6-8 inches to help traffic through the wood shop at the end of the night This should improve visibility to @Imagesurgery artwork.
  • One artist is planning to be away tomorrow.
8 Likes

1969 visitors today… that’s pretty insane considering we did 1800 all of last year

• we were missing one artist all day and one showed up a bit later than expected
  • bottle of Jamison whiskey was finished today.
  • Barry the bandsaw continues to be a silent hit among visitors as does our general labelling of boxes.
  • not much for notes today but it was really busy.
11 Likes

Day 4 recap:

• At least 1600 people counted today. I missed about 30 minutes of counting as i needed to work hard on completing one of my own sales. It definately was busy but not as busy as saturday.
  • all artists were available today so it was great to have the full complement of artists around for the day.
  • Tables were pushed back, jumbotron back in position, main workbenches restored back to their original locations.
  • Some discussion of an in person debrief will be planned among the artists so we can put together a solid plan for next year. All in all the numbers are amazing in total we hit approximately 4410 visitors to the space.
  • All the artists are super thankful for the support we got from the community and we all believe this wasn’t possible with the efforts of all our members. Thanks to everyone who helped us out.

11 Likes

Love this photo. Thanks for repping VHS so well while showing your art especially since the crawl requires a fee to participate. I’m positive having so many artists also helped to draw in a bigger crowd. I know it’s a ton of work to do these things and exhausting. Glad you felt supported and good plan on the debrief so we know what works and what we can improve for next time. Like obviously we need to name all of the tools like Barry the Bandsaw.

5 Likes

I also want to thank new member @Fixer_Rick - he’s only just joined the space, but he helped us man the door for a few hours on Saturday afternoon, and I heard he also cleaned the kitchen!

3 Likes

And thank you to the rest of the members who helped out also - I don’t remember everybody who was around, but it’s all appreciated!

2 Likes