CSA Dielectric Testing of hobby level electronics

I’ve designed a simple brewing controller using a combination of a Gameduino 3 LCD, an interface board that sits on it and a Teensy 3.2 to control the unit. Onboard, the interface board has a 12V to 5V power supply, a few capacitors and a ULN2003 relay driver. Its powered by a 12V power supply (120 or 240 VAC input) and the interface board drives a 12V buzzer, a 12V relay and some SSR’s. Schematics and pics available if requested.

My question relates to CSA dielectric testing (presumed to be the same as described below)
http://www.gigavac.com/application-notes/high-voltage-relays/dielectric-testing

The first round of our controllers that were tested, 7 of the 11 units LCD’s stopped working following testing.

Can someone familiar with dielectric testing comment on this to point me in the right direction?

1 Like

(1) While doing the Dielectric test, can you remove only the EMI filter caps (also called Y caps), 2 in number at the Power Input?

(2) Use double layers of Kapton, Nomex or Mylar sheets between chassis (enclosure) and the PCB or circuit section

(3) Do a DC Dielectric test instead of AC Dielectric test?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.