[COMPLETED] Woodshop Bounty Projects

There are two woodshop improvement projects i’m hope someone can take on that unfortunately i personally do not have the time to take on myself. So i will personally throw money at the problem instead.

Project 1: Rolling cart + home depo make shift cyclone stand. Bounty: 30 dollars. [COMPLETED]

Remember the good ol days before our shopvac caught on fire? Yeah Pepperidge farms remembers. @MichaelG has put his shop vac on loan to the space but we now have two objects on the ground and it would be great to condense it so it’s a singular tower like it was before. All the materials you might need are in the shop so this should be an easy win for anyone who has the time to make it. Feel free to grab what you need out of the scrap bin. There’s casters floating around the space. You should not need to spend a single dime on materials on this project if you look around.

Does it have to be pretty? no. Does it have to have googley eyes… Yes. Obviously.

An example of this would be:

Project 2: 3d printed hose adaptor for our orbital sanders that will plug into the shop vac or Herbie Hoover. (15 dollars per orbital sander).

Sanding generates a large amount of sawdust which becomes airborne polluting the air in the space. We have two orbital sanders that don’t really effectively hook up to some active dust collection be it a shop vac or Herbie Hoover directly. IMO using an orbital sander without something sucking that sawdust in should really become frowned upon in the woodshop. We need to keep at least one available for larger projects that get sanded in the dmz so at least one of them should still be usable with the shopvac. Please also include the model (be it a link to the model or attached) so that it can be reprinted in the future.

The models of the orbital sanders I have in mind are these ones:

https://www.amazon.ca/SKIL-Random-Orbital-Sander-SR211601/dp/B07FKBDNNQ/

Post a video proving your creation works and meets the spec above and i’ll dm you for your email address to send the funds. First one to successfully meet the requirements of each will recieve the bounty.

The best part of this is… “NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY” - meaning everything you need is at VHS for you to make the things.

Mucho Gracias! Happy Hacking!

5 Likes

Currently I’m working on the dust stopper mount. The vacuum does not have the pipe holes above its wheels like the previous one, so I removed the handle at the top and screwed in a plywood base for the cyclone to sit on. Once I locate the pieces of hose scattered to the winds, I will work on attachments that hold everything in place

Uploading: IMG_5625.jpeg…

Update sept 8 2024. The mount is done! I cut a length of scrap hose to link the vacuum to the dust stopper and added a rack for an additional length of hose. There is a routed hole for the nozzle and space in the front for googly eyes.

The dust stopper can easily be lifted up, and everything is secured with screws so it can be disassembled or modified further.

9 Likes

Looks great @MichaelG Thanks for doing this! - I will DM you for an email address and send your bounty shortly!

Edit: Bounty Paid out

2 Likes

The Milwaukee orbital sander can now be connected to Herbie the dust collector.

Link to the STL that is stored on VHS Github:

6 Likes

Awesome thats one of the two orbitals. I can send you the first part of the bounty but i also think you’ve already started on the skill orbital sander. I assume that one hooks up to the mobile shop vac.

send me your email and i’ll send you funds.

1 Like

Completed the second adapter as well. The black part is the adapter that came with the sander.
Design File:
3dprinting_stl/Shop Vac Adapter Final.3mf at 1d9129e06a77f88368faa3a846be932ac9e23de9 · vhs/3dprinting_stl · GitHub

3 Likes

Thanks @adheesh - This looks good enough for the short term. Bounty reward has been paid out.

One note the airflow will be somewhat restricted due to the narrowest part of that coupling fitting. Sawdust is pretty light and it should still be pulled through enough but it’s a small choke point in the system. Future iterations could probably factor a wider diameter perhaps.

2 Likes

I’ll work on a better design and test it out later this week. Thanks Phillip :slight_smile:

1 Like