[Completed!] Request for space project help: Wood Storage units for trays

Hi all, with the intent to make the space (particularly the electronics and fastener areas) more organized and user-friendly, I have purchased some materials to build some of these wooden organizers for our small parts tackle boxes (the following photos are from my old office at the Science World Exhibits workshop):

These are the 2 sizes that we have lots of at the space:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plano-molding-3730-prolatch-stowaway-box/6000078112847
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plano-pro-latch-slim-tray-0782513p.html#srp

Would anyone be willing to help build some of these over the next few weeks? I have several sheets of 5/8" birch ply and 3/16" HDF that I bought specifically for this project.

7 Likes

Happy to help with a build, just tell me when and where.

2 Likes

I can help too, let me know :v:

1 Like

Awesome thanks! I’ll post some drawings tomorrow!

1 Like

I can help as well.

1 Like

I’m also down to help.

1 Like

Amazing! Thanks for all of the enthusiasm! Here are some part drawings based on measurements of the Arlink shelves at the space.

Please let me know if anything is unclear. Note that the 3-7/16" measurement is the space for the large trays.

The dividers have a curved cutout for ergonomics; it helps a lot. We can laser-cut one out of plywood and use it as a template.

Here is the file:
woodshelf30.5.pdf (886.4 KB)

And a DXF for the 1/4" thick dividers. These can be made of 1/4" plywood or some sheets of 1/4" hardboard that I bought for this project last year that are in the materials rack in the woodshop. (I think the units are in mm, but if it looks small, scale it by 25.4)

1 Like

Here’s a drawing for the small cabinets. These are 10.5" tall and fit onto the Arlink shelves as they’re currently configured in the electronics area.

These small cabinets are made of 1/2" ply, and the dividers are 1/8" thick (they use the same DXF as above; we can laser-cut these directly from 1/8" ply, or we can just cut rectangles of 1/8" hardboard on the table saw). I will be buying the material for this on Thursday morning.

woodshelf10.5.pdf (1.2 MB)

1 Like

Mornin y’all!

I have a few hours this morning to start on this if we have the materials for them. I see that the small cabinet supplies are being bought Thursday morning but do we have the 5/8" and 1/4" sheets for the 30.5" tall ones? @JohnC ?

1 Like

Cancel that, just went to book my time and no availability in the woodshop until 7pm. Another day it is…

I’m scheduled for 1pm today if you’d like to meet up there we can start :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sadly I’m starting work at 1pm so won’t be able to join ya.

1 Like

Yeah, we have 3 sheets (48x32") of 5/8" ply next to the wood CNC, and 3 sheets (also 48"x32") of 1/4" HDF in the sheet storage rack. Feel free to use those.

1 Like

Ok, I picked up a sheet of each 1/2" and 1/8" birch ply to use for this project. Anyone who is willing to help: please use this material!

2 Likes

Thanks to @Pat for helping out today! We were able to build 6 of the small cabinets and 3 of the large ones!

7 Likes

Those are amazing! Thanks to everyone who made that happen! The electronics area is one of my fav parts of the space. Sometimes I look for weird components (cause they are so neatly sorted/stored) and then look them up online to see what I can use them for. The organization is excellent.

3 Likes

those look amazing!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.