Compact bench power supply for home lab

My bench ATX PSU stopped working this week, so I’m taking the opportunity to upgrade to a variable bench supply with current limiting. Any recommendations?

My soft requirements:

• Goes up to 30V and 5A
  • Not very deep - like 9" would be about the max. My workbench is a converted piano so I don’t have a lot of room. I do have lots of room under my bench for some sort of split system.
  • No more than $100
  • Switcher is probably fine for what I do but linear would be awesome

I considered Bob’s DIY supply. How’s that working for you @packetbob?

Anybody have something like this?

1 Like

I have yet to mount mine in a case so I haven’t really used it much except for a few times when I need more current then my existing power supplies can deliver… However for your bench the system my be perfect as you can mount the largish power section (either a big old transformer and rectifier or a SMPS) remotely from the small control section…

I do like the control that it gives you…

I’ve bought this cheap bench supply about two years ago: (Amazon.ca) It appears to be the exact same model you’ve linked.

I haven’t really put it through its paces. I just use it to power the occasional breadboard circuit. It works fine for that, but I guess everything would.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I have one of these and it seems fine, although I haven’t really used it in anger.

FYI there are identical-looking ones available for much cheaper, I chose this one hoping it would be less of a fire hazard. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone. I bought this one with a case.

1 Like

good choice, eevblog has done a couple of things on that supply.

What do you plan to use for the DC supply?

I’ll see if I can rummage up a 48V supply, otherwise I’ll probably just run it off a 24V 10A supply I have. I’ve overspec’ed this unit wrt my current needs, so I can upgrade the primary supply as my needs grow, while keeping this same “head unit”.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.