Colab refugees?

Hi, I’m currently a member of the vancouver community lab and thinking about
making the jump to VHS. Wondering if any former colab members are here now,
and might have some thoughts or opinions to share about it.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I have never been to the co-lab, just curious about why you are leaving?

I checked out Colab a month ago to do the welding course — really enjoyed it! I’ve been considering becoming involved in both spaces.

I think Colab and VHS have very different emphases and are quite complementary. (Excuse me while I generalize wildly) VHS has more electronics, small fabrication, and CNC-based machines. Colab has more “large” tools and a space far more suitable for larger projects.

In any case, hope you check out VHS!

2 Likes

Hi Luke, did Lesha teach you about the use of the timer menu on the Miller 251 and 252?
i.e. the preflow, postflow, burnback, spot, stitch, parameters etc ?
Super useful features that make me hesitant about leaving.

Nope, this was just a beginner course.

VHS recently bought a Miller 211 and it’s set up and working. We don’t have a great place to use it though, but we can set it up in our loading bay where we have power, an overhead door for ventilation, and fewer space- and fire-hazards than in the main VHS suite.

It got used extensively during the recent Access Makeathon

https://twitter.com/vhs/status/825521240567713792

And our next space will be yooooooge!

2 Likes

Hi, Rob
I also just took the intro course with Lesha, and have considered joining that space as well. is there anything i need to be mindful of when making my decision?

BIGLY Terrific! Everything I touch is terrific!

Go to their monthly meeting tonight, it promises to be interesting.There’s no reason not to join, if you can afford both places.VCL has a lot of commercial artists and tradespeople who actuallyuse the shop for their business, so may be even more suitable foryou but there are some cultural difference I’m sure.One thing-don’t assume that the tools you see pictured on the websiteare actually there or are in working order. I really wanted to do somesheet metal work, but there are no such tools there at all.
Other than that I don’t know how much different it is than VHS.You can email me at semenoff@yahoo.com, or catch me at themeeting. I will try to be there but will be at the VHS for sure.

well can’t make it tonight. I guess the name monthly meeting implies that there will be another one next month.
I am mostly just interested because last i talked to Lesha, she mentioned there are possibility of a blacksmithing class coming up

1 Like

I saw Max doing some forging, so that much is there I know. It looks like a very diy furnace, and I’m pretty sure they won’t let you touch it until you take the course. They also have a plasma cutter but there’s no course for it. I think you sort of have to get in with the right people for it to happen…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.