Clear wood finish opinions?

I see there are some accomplished woodworkers in this community, can you please help with a newbie question? Do you have strong opinions on clear wood finishes?

I want to finish this bed frame (built by a friend) and am overwhelmed by the options. Tung oil? Danish oil? Varathane wood stain?

I lean towards something natural and environmentally friendly but have zero experience and my research has so far only broadened my indecision. What would you use?

I’ll apply it at home, so am unconstrained by what’s possible at the space.

Thanks!

1 Like

I like this video on the differences between wood finishes / best ways to apply finish:

1 Like

Do you have access to another scrap piece of the same wood?

Try a bunch of different finishes, see how they age, how they look in different lights, times of day!

1 Like

Obligatory reminder that all drying oil finishes are banned at VHS.

4 Likes

Awesome video, thanks! Glad I’m not alone, suffering the tyranny of choice. Great introduction to finishes as well as advice.

This is also a non negotiable rule in place. No matter how careful ‘you’ as an individual are, not all members know the safest way of disposal and cleaning up of combustible materials; so the safest solution is to not allow the use in the space.

2 Likes

Have you guys seen the shou sugi ban finishing technique, i did that and coated the top with clear epoxy.

2 Likes

Spray cans of lacquer are my usual go-to. No sanding between coats, and it looks pretty good.

I’ve also used this automotive clear coat spray on projects when I need high durability. https://www.spraymax.com/en-us/products/product/clear-coats-and-spot-blender/2k-clear-glamour/

1 Like

Not the light finish I envisioned but very cool! How’d it turn out? I’d love to check out photos of your work!

Awesome, thanks for this firsthand recommendation!

If you want a finish that is truly non-toxic, environmentally friendly and easy to apply and repair, check out Tried and True finishes. I’ve used both their Original Wood finish and their Danish Oil finish and have been very happy with the results. Food safe and no VOC’s to contend with. Goes on with a rag without streaks, drips or brush marks.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supplies/finishing/finishes/101848-tried-and-true-original-wood-finish

3 Likes

Feel free to apply this finish at home, not at VHS!
Danish-Oil-MSDS.pdf (298.4 KB)

3 Likes

No VOC’s doesn’t mean non-flammable. Anything with linseed oil is going to be flammable and the used rags will be susceptible to spontaneous combustion if not allowed to dry and disposed of properly. I should have mentioned that in my previous post. Thanks for posting the MSDS, John.

2 Likes

I have some of that tried and true stuff and it’s worked well for a few things. I applied it at home and then burned the rags. This was a crazy fire in my neighbourhood a ways back started by oily rags.

1 Like

I made it a few years ago, and it was one of my first projects so its a bit scratched, I dont think the depth really shows up on camera but in person you can see each grove of the grain.

3 Likes

Exactly the kind of tree-hugging, natural, environmentally conscious finish I was seeking, thanks! I’m encouraged you and @Janet independently confirm it works well. And thanks also for the words of caution and MSDS! I’ll aim to avoid yakisugi-ing my house down, putting finishing touches on my bed frame. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Gorgeous and impressive! Thanks a lot for sharing these photos!

1 Like

For sure and Steve really knows his chops when it comes to woodworking! His recommendations are always great.

3 Likes

An extremely important consideration for me with a bed is that the finish is non-toxic, does not cause reproductive harm, and does not continue to off-gas with time.
Polyurethane is a no-no for this, as are the many of stains/oils/varnishes that you would find at Home Depot.

I recently finished 2 beds for 10 year old twin boys, and decided to go with this finish, available at Lee Valley:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supplies/finishing/finishes/110895-osmo-polyx-matte-hard-wax-oil
The above mentioned product specifically states that it is food and child safe once cured (the uncured product is dissolved in Naptha, which is toxic but completely evaporates out after a couple of days).
Make sure to follow safety precautions and note that this finish is not to be used at VHS due to risk of fire when handled improperly.

In the past I have also finished a bed using non-toxic water-based stain and then clear coating with Shellac, which is touted as being safe for children’s toys etc.

Or if you wish to go with a drying oil finish (Linseed or Tung oil) make sure you get the version that SPECIFICALLY does not contain artificial drying agents, and is touted as food safe. These oils will be very slow to cure, and as mentioned they do pose a risk of spontaneous combustion if not handled properly, and are not allowed at VHS for this reason.

2 Likes